• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

BOB GJIKA REFRETS MY '03 R9 HISTORIC MAKEOVER

Cream Fan

I've owned this guitar since '04 and had Kim LaFleur and his excellent crew do their magic in 2014. It's a great guitar, but after five years the frets were played out. I've known Bob since our days in Boston and he was my first and only choice to do the refret. I also wanted stainless frets, as I did not want to ever have to worry about doing another fretjob. I'm picking up the guitar this Sunday and I can't wait to play it. Especially, after seeing these two videos Bob posted on his Youtube channel. First one is Bob playing a portion of "All Right Now," along with the record and the second video talks about stainless frets and how many misconceptions there are regarding them.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nXtm-znBy-A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J3E1mr2L2Us" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thin sissy

Good choice man, you'll not be disappointed! :salude

I know many people oppose SS frets for some reason. I have two 50's LP:s with SS frets, and I don't think I'll ever use anything else.

Cream Fan

Drove down to Escondido and picked up my R9 from Bob Gjika with their spanking new stainless frets. What a freaking difference. Aside from the height of the 6100 equivalent frets, it plays like butter, bends almost effortless. And while I have Pyramid .009s on it now, I'm considering going up to .010s, top-wrapping and dropping it to E-Flat. Right now, I'm really enjoying the experience of knowing I never have to worry about wearing out the frets. We also did an impromptu jam.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kOh6n5RIWxs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jb_abides

Awesome that you got Bob to do the job and check out his amps too! Nice.. enjoy, sounds great. :salude

Cream Fan

Awesome that you got Bob to do the job and check out his amps too! Nice.. enjoy, sounds great. :salude

I actually own a 10n and matching cab. I also brought my board in so that I could hear the guitar exactly the way I'd hear it at home.

J T

Nice!

Cool stuff:hank

I have stainless on my strat for years and they still look brand new. Never had to polish them or anything other than wipe them down. No doubt those frets will last a long time.

57Strat777

I have a few guitars with stainless frets and IMO this is the only way to go if you put a lot of hours on a guitar. My main practice guitar is a Strat with jumbo stainless frets that have been on the guitar about 3.5 years. This strat gets about 4 hours of use every single day. These stainless frets are just beginning to show some wear. You can see tiny divots starting to form in a few spots around the cowboy chord area, and the high E, B, G strings area show the frets beginning to have a flat surface half way up the neck. My tech said it is getting close to needing the frets leveled. I also have a new LSL Topanga (copy of 50's Les Paul Special) that doesn't have stainless frets. I bought this LSL guitar brand new two months ago and I have been playing it a couple of hours a day for two months. After two months, the frets on the LSL are already as worn as the 3.5 year old stainless frets on my strat.