• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Thinking about buying this 2002 Classic

boogs5150

HI all! It's a bit beat up but I think the price is right (it's priced at $1100) depending on how the frets are. Pickguard is cracked, paint missing on bottom front of body, bent tuner, and looks like a little chipping on the headstock. Does this look like a legit LP? Serial number starts with 02

LP.jpg

LP2.jpg

LP5.jpg
LP4.jpg

LP3.jpg

Thanks!

sonar

Price is very good, even with the nicks and bruises, although confirm that there are no neck repairs.

It's an earlier model without the snot green inlays, which makes it slightly more desirable. Iirc correctly the earliest examples didn't have the "Classic" printed on the headstock, which would make this say the next generation? If you dig deep on the LPF search function you'll get a lot of great info on this model.

The stock pickups can be too aggressive for some who prefer a more traditional sounding LP, but swapping pickups is not a big deal. The neck profile was purposely made thin, which might also be a problem for some.

ej.

I would just question the neck down by the heel, why is it dark? Was a crack/snap/break there and repaired and painted over?

boogs5150

I would just question the neck down by the heel, why is it dark? Was a crack/snap/break there and repaired and painted over?

I think they are like that from the factory? Looking at pics on Reverb.com it appears that it is true.

MeHereNow

The color is "vintage sunburst" and with that particulair color gibson sprays the heel in black too, along with partial black finish in the cutaway and up the upper bout.
A 01 lp standard and a 98 lp Classic i used to own both had it, and they were both designated "vintage sunburst", and i seen it on other as well.

Trans-Am

Take it now before someone else beats you to it and re-sells it after a good bath including behind the ears. Easily a $1500-1800 axe.:biggrin:

Last edited:

ej.

The color is "vintage sunburst" and with that particulair color gibson sprays the heel in black too, along with partial black finish in the cutaway and up the upper bout.
A 01 lp standard and a 98 lp Classic i used to own both had it, and they were both designated "vintage sunburst", and i seen it on other as well.
Oh ok, didn't know that

Triplet

I bought my son a '01 Classic that looks just like it. It's a good ax. Not too worried about dinging it and takes mods really well. I do suggest getting rid of the ceramics, though...

Señor Verde

I had a couple Classics from around 2000~2002 and they were nice. Swapped out the pickups and other electronics and they sounded great. Just couldn't do the slim-taper neck so I sold them. That seems like a very good price.

uncajoey

Lovely guitar, price is $400 below market, buy it NOW.

I’ve been collecting Classics for years, that one is legit.

buy it.

uncajoey

Replacement pick guards are available from Creamtone, great color and no hideous ‘1960’ silkscreen.