• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is quality slipping?

bern1

I think the way it used to be was that dealers would go over the guitars they received, set them up and take care of any minor flaws from the factory for their customers. They had margin to do this.
Today every retailer is battling the internet, so it may be difficult to go the extra mile, they just don’t have the margin.
I think today in general, especially in the lower and moderate price range, the buyer is getting a lot of guitar for the money, in that the inherent quality is very high and the factory set up is decent. This is certainly better than the 70’s and 80’s in this regard, as all manufacturing across the board has dramatically improved all over the world.
Having said that, I have bought two guitars in the past two years, one new and one mint as bought from a retailer. One Fender and one Gibson. Both had fret ends (or binding) sticking out at the edges of the board. On both the nuts were too high. The Gibson had frets that were not crowned. Neither guitar had any kind of set up.
Now, I can deal with all of these issues and pretty much expect it with Fender and Gibson. Just an observation, not necessarily a judgement. The bones of these guitars are good, the basics are solid. (Straight necks, proper geometry, etc.) These are relatively minor issues for people that know how to deal with them or are willing to spend money with a tech who can. It is very possible that the internet pricing can save a buyer the cash to do this. But this should not really be necessary. Of course I would prefer that America’s premier legacy electric guitars did not have these issues.
I have never seen a new Martin guitar with any of these issues.

Trans-Am

The way i see it? If the AD only treats the brand name that they carry? It will in all honestly push the stocks out the door. When you sell a car you make sure all is fit and ready to go. But then again your not driving an LP but playing so all in all? it has to play and sound to the utmost best playing set up no matter what. It the axe where you use and shine at the end of the day.
You want the best even if it's a cheap shitty model. You make the best of what you have in modding/tweaking/adjusting to you taste. It's what makes you different from the rest and not sound like the next guy who has the same guitar.

Some but not all AD's don't give a crap in maintaining there bread and butter when it comes to instruments.

I've seen and heard peeps out there who buy a used $250 Epi Dot and can /will kick the next real thing ten times the price out in the field. It's just not the person per say with his skill and hand technique, it's what you can do best of in what you have and can afford. These days from afar it seem's like it's all about the the Joneses really. Whose all about that?:rolleyes:

Just my take and the way i see it in simplicity that's all!

El Gringo

Talking about Authentic authorized Gibson Dealers , I find them on there websites and I am a top hunter firstly and go from there on to the specs such as neck profile and every time I have contacted them on the phone the reaction I get is priceless - kind of like ,you want to give us money ? what can we do for you to make you happy ? in order to complete this sale and to insure continued patronage of there store . Except for one shop that is not authorized and when I called to make a purchase , I was told by the owner "why should I sell to you ? " Can you imagine ? So I made the worst mistake which still continues to this day a year and a half later with my infamous R8 ,which I purchased over the phone and used my credit card and was charged a 3% fee for the use of my credit card . Can you imagine ? I want to spent my money and make a purchase and then I am hit with a 3% fee for using plastic over the phone because what was I going to use a homing pigeon with the cash or a stork to carry a bundle of bills ? This is the kind of thing that sticks in my head and will never leave all because I wanted to make a purchase in good faith and then I have to pay a 3% fee on top of the purchase price which then buys me this nightmare that still continues to this day and it is now at the make it or break it point with my tech who is trying to determine if this R8 will ever play and stay in tune . Buyer beware and please only buy from a Gibson Authorized authentic dealer !!!!!!!!!

Trans-Am

Talking about Authentic authorized Gibson Dealers , I find them on there websites and I am a top hunter firstly and go from there on to the specs such as neck profile and every time I have contacted them on the phone the reaction I get is priceless - kind of like ,you want to give us money ? what can we do for you to make you happy ? in order to complete this sale and to insure continued patronage of there store . Except for one shop that is not authorized and when I called to make a purchase , I was told by the owner "why should I sell to you ? " Can you imagine ? So I made the worst mistake which still continues to this day a year and a half later with my infamous R8 ,which I purchased over the phone and used my credit card and was charged a 3% fee for the use of my credit card . Can you imagine ? I want to spent my money and make a purchase and then I am hit with a 3% fee for using plastic over the phone because what was I going to use a homing pigeon with the cash or a stork to carry a bundle of bills ? This is the kind of thing that sticks in my head and will never leave all because I wanted to make a purchase in good faith and then I have to pay a 3% fee on top of the purchase price which then buys me this nightmare that still continues to this day and it is now at the make it or break it point with my tech who is trying to determine if this R8 will ever play and stay in tune . Buyer beware and please only buy from a Gibson Authorized authentic dealer !!!!!!!!!

Wow sorry to hear the experience you had, Have you even thought or tried going to the top that might have been different in regards. I would've backed out from the get go with this experienced.:bigal

El Gringo

Wow sorry to hear the experience you had, Have you even thought or tried going to the top that might have been different in regards. I would've backed out from the get go with this experienced.:bigal
The biggest mistake that I ever made that still haunts me to this day and I am starting to get seriously worried because my tech told me several weeks ago that he was working on it and I have not heard back from him yet and yes he is super busy so I will not be hassling him until he reaches out to me first . Expensive lesson learned by yours truly .

Trans-Am

Wont hurt to say Hi to your tech and get an update at least once a week just to have a peace of mind. :hank

Coachmoe

I bought two 2019 Gibsons this summer. One is a Les Paul Standard 50's Goldtop with P90's. The other is an SG Special with P90's in Pelham Blue. Both of these guitars are from Gibson's Original Collection and both came from Musicians Friend. Las t year, I bought a 2018 SG from Sweetwater.

The fit and finish on all three guitars was perfect. No issues with any of them. It never ceases to amaze me that people complain about new Gibsons.

I have bought new off the wall Gibsons from Sam Ash and Guitar Center. No issues with any of them. I've ordered new guitars from both; I was the first one to open the box. No issues with any of them. I've bought new Historics from Dave's, Saul at Center City and Wildwood. No issues with any of them.

One thing I will say, for years, Gibson has shipped their guitars with .010's and I play .009's. First thing I have always done is take them to Lay's Guitars for a set up, not because of bad frets but just because I want them set up the way I like and I'm too dumb to really intonate and adjust for neck relief.

I didn't agree with most of what Henry did with the company but it never stopped me from buying Gibson's. I personally believe that Gibson is on the right path bringing out the Original and Modern collections. In my humble opinion, the quality is NOT slipping. Just my 2 cents worth.

AA00475Bassman

uRM6Gxu.jpg
[/IMG]
I agree with you and I will add that if you are buying a used Gibson Please by from an Authorized Gibson Dealer who is legit and avoid the nightmare that I am going thru and save yourself trouble and money (so far $ 1400 in the hole on top of the purchase price , beginning with the squealing Burstbucker 1 & 3 pickups and the guitar will not stay in tune and it's make it or break it time and I hope the truss rod is not trashed or the neck because the wood chipper is waiting in the on deck circle ) purchase from an AUTHORIZED GIBSON DEALER .
Disclaimer :Numero Uno Take this to heart from EL Loco Buy from a Gibson dealer !

Trans-Am

I bought two 2019 Gibsons this summer. One is a Les Paul Standard 50's Goldtop with P90's. The other is an SG Special with P90's in Pelham Blue. Both of these guitars are from Gibson's Original Collection and both came from Musicians Friend. Las t year, I bought a 2018 SG from Sweetwater.

The fit and finish on all three guitars was perfect. No issues with any of them. It never ceases to amaze me that people complain about new Gibsons.

I have bought new off the wall Gibsons from Sam Ash and Guitar Center. No issues with any of them. I've ordered new guitars from both; I was the first one to open the box. No issues with any of them. I've bought new Historics from Dave's, Saul at Center City and Wildwood. No issues with any of them.

One thing I will say, for years, Gibson has shipped their guitars with .010's and I play .009's. First thing I have always done is take them to Lay's Guitars for a set up, not because of bad frets but just because I want them set up the way I like and I'm too dumb to really intonate and adjust for neck relief.

I didn't agree with most of what Henry did with the company but it never stopped me from buying Gibson's. I personally believe that Gibson is on the right path bringing out the Original and Modern collections. In my humble opinion, the quality is NOT slipping. Just my 2 cents worth.

I can relatively agree here and all the other comments does not really fall on new purchased Gibson's.
Every musical instrument makers will have a certain percentage of give as to what has passed or slipped by through QA etc.:hmm

In my own personal experience with having to acquire Gibson instruments from electric to acoustics, we will have always look for something to ask and whine about and it's clearly there for you eyes to see and hear.

Anything small I can live with as to making my own adjustments from setting up and tweaking to my own personal taste is up to me of course but if I wanted a special take for whatever reason I would have to take it to a trusted guitar tech to check it out.

We all pay good money for these fine instruments and we all expect them to sound/feel and look good if not great.
Sometimes we get crazy and want it now, only to find out if we could have waited a day or a month is that another better looking/playing one is nearby waiting for a home with a better price to kick it off.

I just take my time and wait, check them out ask questions, read up etc. It's out there for all of us to search and grab as well as enjoy.

At the end of the day? Nothing is perfect as only you can make it so and that's the time you call it your baby and go to instrument:headbange

uncajoey

Pretty easy to figure out Gibson’s MO regarding quality. Find an ad for production workers at the plant. What they’re looking for is people who can work in a high volume production environment, can thrive under pressure, and achieve production quotas. Little mention of passion for quality and excellence.

Trans-Am

Pretty easy to figure out Gibson’s MO regarding quality. Find an ad for production workers at the plant. What they’re looking for is people who can work in a high volume production environment, can thrive under pressure, and achieve production quotas. Little mention of passion for quality and excellence.

Correct as QA is where it's at these day and for the longest time. Without it? No matter how valuable your wood is and hardware if it ain't got QA then you might as well get a Murphy and be done with it.:2cool