• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Thinkin' buying vintage...

viper007

I'm no guitar geek and i absolutely dont't do anyting on my guitars (hey don't even change the strings i'm ashamed to say :spabout).

Been thinkin' for some time now to buy vintage. This weekend i've tried a '58 Les Paul Custom and it felt so right!

There's a lot of issues as you can see...

Price is 27.700 USD. (Remember this is Sweden where the prices and the offers are different)

So what's the opinion on this one?

Tried to translate from the shop text:

"A Black Beauty with nice medium weight from 1958 with 3 genuine PAF microphones and original electronics, the pots dated 32nd week -57, a dream guitar! The reason why it doesn't cost double is because of some stories; changed mechanics to gold Grover, changed grip board and oversprayed back of neck with new edge strip and wrong case, here comes a small explanation of what probably happened to the neck that otherwise would not have been broken or damaged in any way according to our blacklight control: I had considered several days on why the back of the neck and the edging was so perfect, but when I got the tip from an old acquaintance from England I understood what had happened. With each band grinding and re-banding you round off the edge of the grip board a little more closely, and on this I guess that so much of the edge strip has disappeared that the strings must be moved closer together in the upper saddle in order not to slip over the edge, ie the guitar gets narrower spacing. Then you have to change the grip board and edge strip and repaint the back neck to hide. On a genuine 50's Custom, the last 3 posts are the same size, on this they are different sizes as on a 1968 and later, probably done so as not to fool anyone. Yes, this is a serious thing that must be represented in the price. So now you have the chance to buy a genuine PAF-equipped Les Paul at a great price!"

[url=https://postimg.cc/hfYyGNyd]exxon gas station near me now[/URL]

[url=https://postimg.cc/cKF8xGTq][/URL]

[url=https://postimg.cc/ppMytdxh]
[/URL]

[url=https://postimg.cc/mP5sBdMX][/URL]

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Looks like it might have had those left over Epiphone keys originally! :ganz

Bloodspoint

So, if I interpreted all that correctly, aside from the Grovers, it's had the fretboard and binding replaced, and some paint to try and cover that up?
I don't know how the price lines up with the actual value now, but it's a cool guitar.

My only gripe is, why can't anyone ever seem to get tuners on straight?

agogetr

i would have my dentist xray the neck.
the body looks pretty clean. the guy musta worn 5 high school rings to wind up with such neck repairs.

brandtkronholm

I think it's overpriced.
3-pickup Les Paul Customs with fewer issues can be had for less with patience.
In my opinion that guitar is worth maybe $13K to $16K - and that's if a buyer really, really likes it.

mistersnappy

I think it's overpriced.
3-pickup Les Paul Customs with fewer issues can be had for less with patience.
In my opinion that guitar is worth maybe $13K to $16K - and that's if a buyer really, really likes it.

Thats interesting info. Thanks.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
I learned a new phrase: "grip board". Definitely going to have to work that one into a conversation!

britbender

So, if I interpreted all that correctly, aside from the Grovers, it's had the fretboard and binding replaced, and some paint to try and cover that up?
I don't know how the price lines up with the actual value now, but it's a cool guitar.

My only gripe is, why can't anyone ever seem to get tuners on straight?
He probably used the existing lower hole, 1 of 6 is not that bad.