• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How do you pick out a strap?

bluesbreaker88

What strap(s) do you use? Do you have a specific brand/style you always go for, or are you a one strap for everything type of person? I just wanted to start this fun thread to see what everyone's opinion is! I personally like to have a different strap for each guitar, and it has to "fit" the guitar's mojo. I often get inspired by a strap in a similar way that I would by a guitar, ie: I bought my '57 sunburst Strat because of EC and the Dominos, so I had to have a strap like the one on the back of the Layla album. My R0 has to have a distressed, brown leather strap that compliments its finish. I have an affinity for Souldier stuff because of the craftsmanship and vintage vibe. Any other strap nerds out there?

J T

My Sandy gets a good ol Levi's no. 1 just like the original Sandy and as recommended by our own Tom Wittrock.

sonar

For years it was the upside down, garden variety Fender strap, but somewhere along the trip I started to accessorize with straps. I barely know (or care) when to pick black or brown shoes for my attire, but a guitar strap...

I agree it depends on the guitar. Even the difference between a sunburst/maple board Strat and a solid color/rosewood board Strat would lead me to different choices.

I found a guy through eBay a number of years ago that made gorgeous leather w/concho straps at reasonable prices. Unfortunately, his health has forced him to retire from the strap business. By far my favorite for LP’s and Gretsch. Some of the Souldier, Couch and Jeri Designs are cool, but none of these really excite me quite as much as the concho’s I used to get.

jb_abides

My Sandy gets a good ol Levi's no. 1 just like the original Sandy and as recommended by our own Tom Wittrock.

Don't those copper rivets damage the finish?! :rofl:salude:rofl:salude
Oh.... Levy's...

Jeff West

If you're looking to accesorize with an unusual strap with personality as well as attention to practical detail, might enjoy reviewing offerings from Well-Hung Straps. No affiliation except that I bought a cool green faux croc hide strap that's an attention-grabber from him a while back.

J T

Straps can be a representation of your playing personality and can get people asking "Where did you get that strap?"

As long as we are on the subject of straps, if you want people to notice your very cool strap, no run of the mill stuff here, check out

Heavy Leather NYC.

I have a couple of Rachael's straps. They are really cool. If you want something special, she can make it for you.

jrgtr42

I mostly have Levy's straps - preferably the PS33, 1", with a buckle and sliding pad on it - but those went way up in price recently.
I have a few other plain ones, and a couple Franklins I like.
I do have a couple Dimarzio clip-lock ones that I don't really care for, but I haven't found anything I like enough, at what I consider a good price to replace them with.
I have a hard time spending a hundred bucks on a strap, even though some of them are nice.
I don't care for a lot of decoration on them - something like the criss-cross pattern on David Gilmour's ex-Jimi Hendrix strap is about my limit.

Last edited:

Karloff

I probably give my straps more thought than is needed, but I really love nice straps. and each guitar I own seems to have it's own strap. I prefer leather straps but I let the guitar itself kinda choose what strap it gets. overall look & feel.
I have a Franklin for my Firebird, a nice soft Franklin for my Goldtop & a AF Designs snakeskin for my Custom.

Coachmoe

I try to find a cool strap that fits the guitar.

I've had some personalized straps from Double Treble, bought some custom ones from Ebay, even have an old Levy's for my Strat.

However, for price, quality and cool factor I've used straps from this company.

https://www.minotaurguitarstraps.com

I have three of the Grandmasters and several other ones.

Along the same lines as strap choice, I like custom colors on my guitars too. Surf Green Strat, Pelham Blue Les Paul, pinstriped my SG. I have a Goldtop and some Sunburst stuff too. Additionally, I have a Sonic Blue Princeton Reverb, a Tweed DRRI AND a Surf Green Dr. Z Maz 18. MAKE A STATEMENT I always say!:dude::dude::dude: