• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Peter Green and the Bluesbreakers Better than Clapton?

AA00475Bassman

Not apples to oranges. Maybe delicious apples to Mcintosh. Keep in mind, Green wasn't playing out of phase. In the above clip, his tone almost sounds like Duane with some frenetic Pageish flourishes. Afaic, no one could get a Les Paul to sound more vocal and voice like than Duane. But PG in the above BB clip really get's it sounding like a voice. Reminds me a little of Not my Cross to Bear.
Duane who ? A Duane in the BB ?

Bruce R

All these guys are gifted guitarists with ridiculous amounts of talent. Clapton's playing while soulfull always felt very direct and compact to me; straightforward Blues and Rock. He might be considered the most technically proficient of the three. Page's playing seemed more emotional, less technical, the way he'd slur lines building into a crescendo. Very romantic in the classic sense as was his music. And though grounded in the blues: I can't quit you, SIBLY etc., and straight forward rock, Dazed, Whole lotta love, The Rover etc, Page took off to exotic place that transcended what was typical or expected: Kashmir, Stairway, The rain song. etc.

Greeny was unique in that his brand of blues was very dreamy, sparse at times, delicate and lyrical. Listen to Clapton's or Page's more bluesy songs and you can almost smell the Mississippi mud on these skinny English guys. With Green it's less mud and more salt sea air. That's what makes PG's brand of blues so enchanting. While he stayed true to the roots his style was quite innovative in my view.

Of course, we will all likely be partial to the guitarist that got us to pick up a Les Paul in the first place. For me it was JPP.

Another one of my favorites. Page's solo at the end was less light and shade more thunder and lightning. Ofcourse Page together with Bonzo JPJ and Plant just made it epic

So well put!! Thanks for putting into words my thoughts!

JJ Blair

Both were great, but Peter was the only guy that sounded like an authentic Blues player fro the south side of Chicago. I love Clapton and Taylor, but they sounded British. That's not a bad thing. But Greenie was the only one of those guys who really channeled the Chicago thing for me.

Zakmichael

Peter Green was excellent, and his tone was fantastic, but Clapton was/is much better in my opinion. Music is subjective, so its different for everyone, but Clapton's track record would show that he was far superior. Scary thing was that he thought that Hendrix blew him away and was shaken by playing with him. Who knows how good Jimi would have been. Anyways, they are all awesome and much better than me. Comparisons are fine, but in context of art, there are no winners or losers. It's just what you like more.

El Gringo

All these guys are gifted guitarists with ridiculous amounts of talent. Clapton's playing while soulfull always felt very direct and compact to me; straightforward Blues and Rock. He might be considered the most technically proficient of the three. Page's playing seemed more emotional, less technical, the way he'd slur lines building into a crescendo. Very romantic in the classic sense as was his music. And though grounded in the blues: I can't quit you, SIBLY etc., and straight forward rock, Dazed, Whole lotta love, The Rover etc, Page took off to exotic place that transcended what was typical or expected: Kashmir, Stairway, The rain song. etc.

Greeny was unique in that his brand of blues was very dreamy, sparse at times, delicate and lyrical. Listen to Clapton's or Page's more bluesy songs and you can almost smell the Mississippi mud on these skinny English guys. With Green it's less mud and more salt sea air. That's what makes PG's brand of blues so enchanting. While he stayed true to the roots his style was quite innovative in my view.

Of course, we will all likely be partial to the guitarist that got us to pick up a Les Paul in the first place. For me it was JPP. P.S. it was also because of Led Zeppelin that I got interested in guitar and Les Paul Sunburst guitars . Big thank you to Mr. Page !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another one of my favorites. Page's solo at the end was less light and shade more thunder and lightning. Ofcourse Page together with Bonzo JPJ and Plant just made it epic

A very well said and analytical analysis of Mr. Page and Mr. Clapton which is most intelligent and I thoroughly concur !

edwina

Clapton set the standard for guitarists on the Beano album. His tone, taste, speed and vibrato

on a track like “Stepping Out” has influenced every electric guitar player since, whether folks care to admit it or not. His playing with Mayall is the blueprint for lead rock guitar playing. The greatest.

AA00475Bassman

Clapton set the standard for guitarists on the Beano album. His tone, taste, speed and vibrato

on a track like “Stepping Out” has influenced every electric guitar player since, whether folks care to admit it or not. His playing with Mayall is the blueprint for lead rock guitar playing. The greatest.
+1

JP'59

Can't get much better than Peter in his prime. Guy was awesome.............

Big Al

Yes and Peter took it further. :ganz

How so, Tom? Peter is clearly trying to do his best Eric copy. Where does he take it further? Supernatural is the only cut that steps out of the direct Eric mold, and though sustain and gobs of reverb within Claptons tone blueprint might seem novel, it hardly raises the bar.