• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Peter Green and the Bluesbreakers Better than Clapton?

JPP-1

I did not see any such comparison on this thread at all.

There was a comparison made between Beano and a Hard Road. I did not make this comparison because afaic Hard Road is not one of PG’s stronger efforts whereas Beano is Clapton at the top of his game not to mention the tonal archetype for the Les Paul and Marshall tone.

It was for that reason that I specifically included some of PG’s live work as it better reflects his talent and (pre out of phase) tone. It is also provides a fairer comparison to Clapton’s strong effort on Beano.

That's what's happening here, more or less. Green has live recordings with Mayall, Clapton doesn't (he does have a few, but the quality is quite poor). So of course Green has the advantage in this kind of direct comparison.

They are great blues guitar slingers and definitely, including Bloomfield in the mix, they were the best blues players in the world in 1967 (although Clapton was more and more of a rockstar by then)

El Gringo

It is subjective and a opinion that’s all !

Ok, so please share with us in who is better than Beck, Clapton, Page ( the widely known big 3 ) Then there are the 3 Kings- B.B. King, Freddie King , Albert King . I am dying to know your answer ?

AA00475Bassman

If this can be subjective

Beck although I listen to Clapton & Page more .

Freddie and you don't have to clean the wax out of your ears to hear the tone and articulation .........!

Anyone else ask this of me only you EL Toro Happy New year .

AA00475Bassman

The other thing I will add is I love Green's playing FM & I think Kirwan pushed Green to the next level .

ourmaninthenorth

If all these cats were playing at the same time in different halls, and I had to express my preference with money down, I'd buy tickets for Rory Gallagher and T Bone Walker.

And dance till I dropped...

This is still fun for me.

:blbros

AA00475Bassman

If all these cats were playing at the same time in different halls, and I had to express my preference with money down, I'd buy tickets for Rory Gallagher and T Bone Walker.

And dance till I dropped...

This is still fun for me.

:blbros
Good point Paul we seem to over look Gallagher with is Strat on this board !

El Gringo

If this can be subjective

Beck although I listen to Clapton & Page more .

Freddie and you don't have to clean the wax out of your ears to hear the tone and articulation .........!

Anyone else ask this of me only you EL Toro Happy New year .

Happy New Years Buddy , and have a safe and joyous celebration !

D.K.

My personal preference for the Bluesbreakers is Green.

HOWEVER, never thought of this in terms of „better“, rather both great, but different...

BTW - to me, one of the biggest achievements of the Bluesbreakers and Mayall is that you can already hear both Clapton and Green as the Greats, although it was very early in their respective careers.

goldtop0

The guy who is always overlooked and was a very tasty player in '67/68 is Mick Taylor................Happy New Year to you all.

rialcnis

Next to Smokestack Lightening, My favorite old blues Yardbirds number with Clapton, "Five Long Years" 1964.

This video which is a " blues satire" first shows a yr 2000 Yardbirds live version with the late Gypie Mayo on guitar...then the Incredible live original with Clapton.

The song tell the story of guy who goes to work in a steel mill to support his wife and kid. I find it hilarious

rialcnis

My personal preference for the Bluesbreakers is Green.

HOWEVER, never thought of this in terms of „better“, rather both great, but different...

BTW - to me, one of the biggest achievements of the Bluesbreakers and Mayall is that you can already hear both Clapton and Green as the Greats, although it was very early in their respective careers.

True. both early incarnations of the Bluebreakers were great. I saw every Whisky show live. I said it earlier on this thread but no doubt about it, Peter Green, topped Clapton live or on record, because of that tone and the more original, sound and phrasing.

On the other hand I far preferred Cream and some of Clapton's Acoustic blues to anything Peter Green did later. I sort of liked Fleetwood Mac, but I found lot's of it was just pop music, without the hardcore psychotronics.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Next to Smokestack Lightening, My favorite old blues Yardbirds number with Clapton, "Five Long Years" 1964.

This video which is a " blues satire" first shows a yr 2000 Yardbirds live version with the late Gypie Mayo on guitar...then the Incredible live original with Clapton.

The song tell the story of guy who goes to work in a steel mill to support his wife and kid. I find it hilarious

What do the "child brides of the Ozarks" have to do with the Yardbirds?! :bigal

rialcnis

What do the "child brides of the Ozarks" have to do with the Yardbirds?! :bigal

It's the Blue's and a satire of the song about the young guy gets his Young girlfriend pregnant and has to go to work in a steelmill. The lyrics say it all. The video satirizes the plight.

A lot of the old blues songs were done by young guys singing about a marriage mess, which is funny in itself.

Last edited:

agogetr

green or clapton? tough call.
folks always bring up clapton beck and page.
so if i may upset everyone here.. i think beck is the best guitarist of the 3.
page is forever my dude. he put together some of.. if not ...the best rock music of all time.
clapton is a very well rounded musician and uber talented. although when he pops into albert hall bonamassa out of respect holds back from blowing him off the stage guitar wise. joe can blow page off the stage too. but beck.........?

Professortwang

I’m thinking this year will be the Chief’s year! San Francisco looks pretty good though too. Oh wait we’re talking about guitarists. Why do we have to turn everything into a sporting event. I love both Clapton and Peter Green. I cycle through people that I listen too. Beano is brilliant same for Green with Mayall and Fleetwood Mac.

rialcnis

green or clapton? tough call.
folks always bring up clapton beck and page.
so if i may upset everyone here.. i think beck is the best guitarist of the 3.
page is forever my dude. he put together some of.. if not ...the best rock music of all time.
clapton is a very well rounded musician and uber talented. although when he pops into albert hall bonamassa out of respect holds back from blowing him off the stage guitar wise. joe can blow page off the stage too. but beck.........?

Yes, Beck. Even Hendrix said Beck was not only the best, but the one who blew his mind and inspired his own exotic playing.

I can't agree that bonamassa ever blows away Page , except maybe in standard Blues. Page like Beck is more creative and surprising than the others.

agogetr

Yes, Beck. Even Hendrix said Beck was not only the best, but the one who blew his mind and inspired his own exotic playing.

I can't agree that bonamassa ever blows away Page , except maybe in standard Blues. Page like Beck is more creative and surprising than the others.
good point. not sure who could really pull rank on page. a true musicians musician and music just flows through him. however i just cant get past how bonamassa never ceases to amaze with his never ending pallet of musicallity. the dude flat blows