• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Question about the headstock stamp on a Gibson SG

JustaDonkey

mN0luib
I was looking at an SG online and I noticed something about the head stock stamp I haven't noticed before. There is a raised edge around the "Made in USA" stamp. It also looks like it is visible around the serial number as well. It almost looks like it's a sticker under the paint. Is this normal for SG's?
mN0luib
I added an imgur link to the head stock. I tried to add the photo to the post but it didn't work.

https://imgur.com/mN0luib

Gold Tone

Isn’t that interesting

Maybe the edges of the stamp are leaving an outline?

wmachine

Any chance that has been repainted and was taped over to preserve the original stamping?

Wally

If that is a real Gibson, there has been a repair and the headstock was repainted during the repair. The number and Made in USA were taped over to protect them.

brandtkronholm

If that is a real Gibson, there has been a repair and the headstock was repainted during the repair. The number and Made in USA were taped over to protect them.

...this makes a lot of sense. Good call.

JustaDonkey

Thanks for the replies. I asked the owner for more info, but he didn't really have very much. The edges look raised to me in the photo, however, he said they weren't raised. He didn't know about any possible repairs or where it was purchased. I asked several people and nobody said they have seen anything like that before. So I decided to stay away from it. Thanks again.