• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1981 Les Paul - should it have "Made in USA" stamped on the neck ?

DavidrCraig

Hi. Looking for some help from some of you experts out there. I am very interested in a 1981 Les Paul Standard currently for sale in UK. Price looks good and the guitar appears to be good bar a strange looking bridge. The neck has a serial number which checks out but no "Made in USA" stamp, so I question if its genuine or not. The EBay link with photos is here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-L...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Many thanks for any advice you could give regarding whether it appears to be genuine or otherwise.

guitplayer

Never saw a 1981 without it. Although sometimes it appears
very faint. Guitar looks straight.

Strings Jr.

I have seen a couple of guitars that made it to Final Assembly without the Made In USA, but they were promptly repaired before shipping. So I guess it's not impossible that one could slip by. Otherwise, seems like a cool guitar. If you buy it, you will want to replace the bridge with a regular Nashville TOM. That top adjust bridge with plastic saddles is a piece of junk. Also, check the D string tuner. The shaft for the "tulip" appears very short. It may be that the tulip is loose on the shaft.

Good luck!

DavidrCraig

Thanks very much for all your advice. I called the seller to discuss purchase and postage to find he'd sold it already to someone who lived very close. You can't win them all ! Thanks again.