• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'69 Goldtop inlay - Ughhh!

WP Blues

I just bought a '69 goldtop that my best friend has owned since '73. In a misguided effort to speed the aging process in the late 70s, he let it lay in the sun on a Florida beach and you see the result here. I'd love to get this fixed. Any ideas who I could contact about this? I'm in the northeast corner of Indiana.

headstock.jpg

guitplayer

I`d leave it. In the 70`s ...was anybody concerned about speeding up the aging process?:hmm
I know I was not.:jim

WP Blues

I'll check into Lay's. Thanks. Not very close, but I could always work in a trip to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame while I'm over there.

Reno_1ted

Its fairly common for the inlay on these guitars to 'white out' like that. I would leave it as is.

Hamerfan

I'll check into Lay's. Thanks. Not very close, but I could always work in a trip to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame while I'm over there.
While you are in it, convert it back to double ring Klusons.

grazy

I had Lay's recrown, buff and polish my original frets on my '69 GT...they look good as new and an intonation problem I had at the first fret is now perfect. Also had them refret my D-35, and it truly plays better and sounds better than it ever did. (also replaced the nut and saddle with bone). They are great luthiers. HIGHLY recommended.