• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this a real '59 PAF

brandtkronholm

Only one link seems to be working. The other links can be copied and pasted into a browser.

There is no way I can tell if it's a genuine PAF by the pictures posted. My advice: save your money.

However, if it is a 1959 PAF then it seems to be living in a post-1964 ES335. I say post-1964 because the treble horn seems to be pointy - i.e., it's not the "Mickey Mouse Ears" associated with the dot-neck 335s. (It could also be the picture and the photo angles playing tricks.)

Also, the guitar has undergone a re-fret, including having the neck (or portions of the neck) re-bound. This makes me think that the fretboard may have been replaced... The pickup switch has a Rhythm/Treble disc which is unusual. The long pick-guard is probably not original either; it may be a reproduction or it came from an earlier ES3x5. The knobs are interesting...they may be old...but one picture isn't meaningful evidence.

...yeah, save your money.

tomh8

Only one link seems to be working. The other links can be copied and pasted into a browser.

There is no way I can tell if it's a genuine PAF by the pictures posted. My advice: save your money.

However, if it is a 1959 PAF then it seems to be living in a post-1964 ES335. I say post-1964 because the treble horn seems to be pointy - i.e., it's not the "Mickey Mouse Ears" associated with the dot-neck 335s. (It could also be the picture and the photo angles playing tricks.)

Also, the guitar has undergone a re-fret, including having the neck (or portions of the neck) re-bound. This makes me think that the fretboard may have been replaced... The pickup switch has a Rhythm/Treble disc which is unusual. The long pick-guard is probably not original either; it may be a reproduction or it came from an earlier ES3x5. The knobs are interesting...they may be old...but one picture isn't meaningful evidence.

...yeah, save your money.

Thanks, Yes I'm aware of the other issues. The guitar is a bit of a project, but I wasn't buying it for the PAF, I was actually trying to convince the seller to take the PAF out and drop the price about $2k because he is convinced its a real PAF and I certainly am not. Figured he could try to sell it on his own. I have confirmed through an ES expert that it is a 64 with a replaced fretboard and a neck reset. Neck pickup is original PAT#. And price is less than 1/3 of what an original would go for

Gadge

I had a 1996 Les Paul that had identical cracks in the finish and hardware dullness, I always thought it was a bit odd to see a young guitar look so old and thought maybe someone had aged it somehow, maybe put it in direct sunlight for a while or even baked it on a low heat, it looked stunning but not quite natural looking. Id be interested to know if it is possible to age guitars in this way, I just know it wasnt natural, the wood and lacquer wasnt old enough to go through that acidic process that ages them in my opinion.

mdubya

If I may

p6X0EJM
p6X0EJM.jpg

Bx99zvf.jpg

HdaQXQJ.jpg

fakejake

Seller claims the fretboard was replaced in '68. Then why does it have dots and not block inlays?
Seems a bit fishy, had a neck reset as well...
I wonder how it plays and sounds.... :hmm

Gadge

Its got to be fake, a real PAF sticker has a pale yellow border and the writing is like a gold metallic paint not white.

Notice on the right side of the sticker edge what looks like scratch marks where someone has trimmed the sticker?

Also it looks like hes left behind some wire wool fibers after dulling the metal with it.

marshall1987

It's very doubtful. Note also the odd looking bobbin mounting screw in the base plate. They don't come like that from the factory.

mdubya

I am no expert, but the aging alone does not look natural to me.