• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Custom Color Gibson SG Specials

VamboRool

Saw the new Pelham Blue and Sparkling Burgundy Gibson SG Specials and was wondering how these new colors compare to the colors used in the 60s. To me, the Pelham Blue looked lighter in color than what I expected and the Sparkling Burgundy looked darker. I wasn't old enough to see these colors new in the 60s. The original Pelham Blues now have a greenish color since the lacquer has yellowed and the Sparkling Burgundy have had the red fade out and are goldish. Sam Ash had these at $1,500 including a case. As usual for Gibson they made an error, the guitars had individual tuners instead of strip tuners like the originals, otherwise, very nice instruments.

jb_abides

Good point on the colors, they may be slightly off, at least in photos, and compared to recent reissues. Sparkling Burgundy can be quite dark when new with new nitro, and the fade toward less red more pink plus the yellowing is what most have as their mental picture.

Per the strip tuners: the 'Original Collection' is meant to capture the essence of the originals, not be Reissue repros... so they are going to offer more modern touches. They are not copies.

For example, they all have GraphTech nuts.
:salude

talpa

Re: Cherry -

hoping they do the SGS in vintage Cherry sooner than later. original fixed bridge units sorta hard to price out. still got a big Mel Galley SGS/Supergroup jones (YATMWJTB).

Pip

Re: Cherry -

hoping they do the SGS in vintage Cherry sooner than later. original fixed bridge units sorta hard to price out. still got a big Mel Galley SGS/Supergroup jones (YATMWJTB).
Mel Galley, boom, popping over to put on some trapeze right now.