• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Aluminum Gibson LP Cases

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
These seem really durable, are they safe for the finish of a 59?

q7m3sgdr9tjlvnhivafh.jpg

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
This is the aluminum case that Gibson provided in the early 00s with some of their guitar. Heavy, yes, but durable and I don't carry the 59 around much. Had an unusual kind of "flocked" lining rather than the usual felt? I got it about the same price as an excellent shape protector 1, so worth a try. And no, TW, no new 59s, just protecting the old one.
Here's the inside:

j4kiyvapi4sjnpcxwldt.jpg

Scott L

These have to be in my opinion the worst overall design I've ever seen. I've had a couple of HP USA HP models with this exact case. Horrible, simply horrible.

As already stated - 20+ lbs. 22 IIRC. Then add a guitar and a few accessories. 30lbs +.

Now let's add a Non Replaceable wooden handle with 2 tiny little holes to pass the hardware through. No the wood won't break someday.

Then the outer finish - impassible to keep from showing oxidation and every fingerprint, never mind that it is so easily scratched or dented.

At least with the 2017s they added wheels to these hernia indurcers, and also added more normal strap handles on both the top and side. Still junk, just easier to get around on wheels.

El Gringo

I am now using Anvil cases for my Les Paul's and will be shipping out one of my Lesters today via UPS and Anvil are built like a tank and offer great protection . In addition I will be getting a quote on having a stage guitar rack case that will fit 8 guitars ,over the weekend I was trying to figure out where to buy this from and this morning I remembered Anvil !

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I am now using Anvil cases for my Les Paul's and will be shipping out one of my Lesters today via UPS and Anvil are built like a tank and offer great protection . In addition I will be getting a quote on having a stage guitar rack case that will fit 8 guitars ,over the weekend I was trying to figure out where to buy this from and this morning I remembered Anvil !

The problem I've got with a traditional anvil case is they're like the bullies of the case world. They'll protect your guitar really well. But they'll beat up all the other guitar cases in the same room/rack/box. Plus they take up more room than a protector making it harder to get a number of guitars into a space. But for shipping or touring? Oh, yeah, they are they answer!

El Gringo

The problem I've got with a traditional anvil case is they're like the bullies of the case world. They'll protect your guitar really well. But they'll beat up all the other guitar cases in the same room/rack/box. Plus they take up more room than a protector making it harder to get a number of guitars into a space. But for shipping or touring? Oh, yeah, they are they answer!
100% true , in addition to beating up your body lifting them as they are not lightweights and yesterday I had someone move it for me into the car and other things got beat in it's path . Great protection for transit !

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
So, no one has experience with these cases and vintage finishes?