• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Early 70's Les Paul 54 Reissues vs. Original 50's Fretless Wonders- thoughts?...

Recently I've been on a little kick for one of these 72-74ish 54 reissues and I'm wondering if anyone here has one and what their thoughts are on them. In addition if anyone has any direct knowledge of how they compare to an original 50's model, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I did find a guy that did a side by side comparison on another message board; ahem!, but he was trying to sell a 73 reissue at the time, so I can't really not take those thoughts without a grain of salt. Also feel free to post some photos! And I once upon a time worked at a pretty good vintage guitar shop and had a good amount of first hand experience with multiple genuine articles which just blew me away and has forever planted the seed of desire for an Alnico V LPC. I do remember we did have a 73 RI in at one point, but at the time I didn't really know about this run and was totally uninterested in it. I do remember it being heavy whereas most of the 50's LPC's I've played have been relatively lightweight by Custom standards. I'd love some input and some photos to lust over. Thanks kids!

david.beason

I just recently posted this in the Norlin thread in the regular LP subforum, but I'll post them here as well. Mine is a '73 and is really great. The frets are as small as you think, though. I wish I had a '50s one to compare it to, but I don't. :)

lfPlirI.jpg

oBKuciq.jpg

ceCuLSU.jpg

fIycQ4Q.jpg

Ahh, yes! I watched your video. I was perusing reverb listing last week and someone has linked your video to their listing, FYI. Very cool looking and sounding guitar! I really like how yours is checked and worn out a bit, just the right amount of "patina" you might say. What's weight on that thing? Nice playing and great fiddle!! I'm very jealous of that guitar. A real beauty, sir!

Another thought...er question for those in know on these guitars, did any of them come factory equipped with a Bigsby? Seems like maybe they would have, but I have yet to come across any. As a true Bigsby devotee, that would be the ideal version. I like Bigsbys so much I put one on an all original 62 330. For shame!! I did it...and I love it!!!

Triplet

I've NEVER seen one of those era Reissues under 10 pounds. Most were over 11.

AA00475Bassman

I owned two never saw one with a Bigsby , then again I never looked for one A bigsby is the last thing I want on a Les Paul !!

Disclaimer : I like the Historic's Ive played better !!

I've seen a few in the 9lbs range which obviously is ideal. There's a '73 on Reverb right now from Nationwide Guitars that's weighing in right at 9lbs. The one we had at my old shop was definitely heavier. Never weighed it because, like I said, at the time I didn't really care about them, but it was 10-11ish easily. As for the historics, I cannot stand those enormous necks. A lot of people like them, but not I. And as far as being historically accurate, they're not. I've yet to play a real 50's Les Paul with as cumbersome and clunky a neck as the Historics have. I owned a historic 57 LPB-3 at one point and sold it off because the neck was way too big. Again, nothing like the refined and altogether beefy, yet slimmer neck of a real one.

Here's the light one. Light guitar, heavy price tag.
https://reverb.com/item/15987466-gi...-edition-1973-black-with-hang-tag-and-receipt

david.beason

I owned two never saw one with a Bigsby , then again I never looked for one A bigsby is the last thing I want on a Les Paul !!

Disclaimer : I like the Historic's Ive played better !!

Total opposite for me. I had two Historics prior to one of these and prefer this one. They were all in the same ballpark, though.

david.beason

Ahh, yes! I watched your video. I was perusing reverb listing last week and someone has linked your video to their listing, FYI. Very cool looking and sounding guitar! I really like how yours is checked and worn out a bit, just the right amount of "patina" you might say. What's weight on that thing? Nice playing and great fiddle!! I'm very jealous of that guitar. A real beauty, sir!

Thanks! I'll weigh it when I get home.

Interesting about the video on someone's Reverb listing...

Midnight Blues

Here's my '72/'54 that I've had since '73:

ozgeD2r.jpg

u6kge0w.jpg

P48mlDZ.jpg

Unfortunately, I've never been lucky enough to have played an original, nor have I seen/heard of one having a Bigsby. I would think not since they were "Limited Editions" of the original '54, but I've heard a couple of other things like they were made with leftover parts and that only approximately 72 were made. Don't know how true either of those are, but I've heard that for as long as I've owned mine.

The other thing is, although I've never weighed mine, I never have or don't, find it all that heavy.

cheers.gif

latestarter

I have a pretty clean 73 ‘54 Custom which I’ll detail for you next week. Mine’s not heavy. Great neck too. Sort of a cross between a ‘59 and a ‘60. Super honkey tones.