• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2011 Don Felder R9/R8 Stinger

Rockhard

Hi fellas . Sorry I've lurked for years without contributing . Anyways this is a recent acquisition . I bought it as a recommissioned Felder and really like it . Sounds great and I like the bigger frets . Interesting thing was tech and I thought it may be a Burst Brothers but email and photos to Gibson confirm it as Felder in Western Desert Fade . Still curious about some specs . The bridge and posts are ABR1 yet spaced for a Nashville so bridge fitting tight . This rectified by replacing with Gotoh bridge . Also the control cavity looks totally unmolested with original wiring but pickups labelled as SD 59s but back plate not stamped . Still a great guitar but someone may know something I don't . Cheers .

Western Desert Fade.jpgDF R8 Stinger.jpgDF R8 Stinger 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5361_LI.jpg
    IMG_5361_LI.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

kidmandudebro

Nice one these are pretty cool!! :applaude

taken from a past Reverb model for sale.

"Prior to this guitar being made, the Custom Shop was making the Don Felder signature R9 Les Pauls that were meant to replicate Felder's 'Burst that he used to record "Hotel California" among other Eagles' songs. After some time, they decided to end the run early, even though more guitars were already in production. This is one of those guitars. Gibson painted a stinger over the back of the headstock to hide the Felder signature serial number, retrofitted an ABR-1 bridge to the Nashville post spacing (Felder's 'Burst was modded to have a Nashville bridge installed on it, so they made the post spacing to fit a Nashville), scraped the R9 from the control cavity, and re-branded the serial numbers as R8s. For this reason, these guitars tend to have really great tops and also have a really great '59 neck profile meant to mimic Felder's 'Burst. Also, since the color was supposed to me a unique match to the original and didn't really match any of the typical Reissue finishes, they called it Western Desert Fade."

Rockhard

Thanks , yes i saw that and then Gibson referred me to it as well :)

david.beason

I used to have one of these recommissioned Felders. Really great run with a great neck profile. Congrats!

Midnight Blues

All I know is she's pretty! Congrats, HNGD
jam.gif
and play her in good health!

Rockhard

Nice one pdfiddler . Looks great . Your pups look like spec I've read but mine appeared to have SD 59 Customs and couldn't see any signs of broken solder , could've been ordered like that I guess . Excellent guitar , I moved mine only because I have 2 other historics .

pdfiddler

I have done some cyber research on the Felder run and the run was 50 aged signed, 100 aged and 150 VOS, 300 total. Looks like Gibson did the 50 signed and aged, the 100 aged, but stopped at 100 VOS with a total of 250 guitars for the run. So it would seem there is 50 of these recommissioned VOS Felder's that are '58R Stingers out there somewhere and I love mine.:hank:dude:

kitmac53

I have done some cyber research on the Felder run and the run was 50 aged signed, 100 aged and 150 VOS, 300 total. Looks like Gibson did the 50 signed and aged, the 100 aged, but stopped at 100 VOS with a total of 250 guitars for the run. So it would seem there is 50 of these recommissioned VOS Felder's that are '58R Stingers out there somewhere and I love mine.:hank:dude:

I have VOS DF 99. Just crept in eh? Brillant guitar