• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Vintage Reissue Strings?

J T

:hmm

Anyone try these? I would like to know how they compare to Pyramid or any others.

BTW, I love the misspelling on their web page, (exacty) :hee

[h=2]https://www.gibson.com/Gear/Factory-Spec-Strings/SEG-HVR[/h][h=2][/h][h=2]Vintage Reissue Electric Guitar Strings[/h]
  • Authentic Vintage Tone
  • Purest nickel wrap for ultimate bright sound
  • Exact historic era specifications
  • Ultra-Light Gauge: .09 .011 .016 .024 .032 .042
  • Light Gauge: .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046
  • Medium Gauge: .011 .014 .018 .028 .038 .050
These authentic strings are crafted the exacty way they were in the '50s and are made from the purest nickel wrap and finest quality core wire. Vintage Reissues are wound at the perfect speed under optimal conditions to ensure long-lasting quality, and the coveted true vintage tone that we engineered in the '50s in Kalamazoo, Michigan that has helped shape music for decades.

J T

Hmm, are these new or just re-packaged ones they have had all along?

Classic

I’m confused by the wording ‘bright’. Pure nickel strings are darker sounding than nickel wound.

TM1

They're just re-packaged D'Addario's. Gibson stopped making their own string about 10-12 years ago and closed their facility in Elgin, Il. Probably nickel plated, hex core strings. Pyramid nickel classics are silver plated round cores on the wound strings and silver plated plain strings. Both core's and plains are silver plated German Steel & not the crappy Tin Plated hex cores and plain strings from "swedish steel"(=junk). Why buy junk when you can get Pyramid's that last considerably longer. Most Pyramid sets last me 2-3 weeks. Gibson/D'Addario's last about 5-6 hours of playing.

goldtop0

Another alternative are the Rotosound rotoblues nickels, they're very long lasting.

J T

And yet they are more expensive than the Pyramids. :rolleyes:

jb_abides

In related news, this was just announced - [[ I don't understand what's new here, packaging? re-formulated? ]]

Gibson: New 'Vintage Reissue,' 'Brite Wire' And 'Acoustic' String Collections Premiere Worldwide
- Factory Spec, High-Quality String Line Developed And Tested By Gibson Master Luthiers​
- Strings engineered and inspired by our new Original, Modern, and Acoustic Collections

NASHVILLE, Tenn., July 16, 2019 /PRNewswire/ --

The energy continues to build around the revitalized Gibson, who has been synonymous with creating, shaping and inspiring sound across generations of artists and multiple genres of music for the past 125 years. By leveraging its iconic past and leaning into the innovative future, Gibson has set the stage for the next era of essential gear that Gibson guitarists covet. After several rounds of experimental development, Gibson is pleased to announce that today, July 16 it will launch three new ranges of guitar strings to players worldwide.

Recognizing the large demand for top quality strings that are fitted to all Gibson instruments produced in Nashville and Bozeman, Gibson will now offer three lines of 'Factory spec' strings. With its new Vintage Reissue Guitar Strings, Brite Wire 'Reinforced' Electric Guitar Strings and Acoustic Guitar Strings, Gibson has players around the world covered from the beginner to collector. Developed and tested by our team of Master Luthiers, these strings are the exact same as those used in production since the launch of the new Original and Modern Collections, including new Gibson acoustic guitars, and are the best possible strings to adorn a Gibson guitar.

"I am very excited to bring these unique Gibson Factory spec strings to guitarists around the world," said Jim De Cola, Master Luthier of Gibson Brands. "Guitar fans now have access to Strings that meet the Gibson standards of quality and sound for their guitar collection."

Gibson Vintage Reissue Guitar Strings:​
The Gibson Golden Era continues with the Gibson Vintage Reissue Guitar Strings, which are perfect for those players looking for a vintage vibe and sound. The strings are crafted exactly the way they were in the 50's and are made from the purest nickel wrap and finest quality core wire. Vintage Reissues are wound at the perfect speed under optimal conditions to ensure long-lasting quality and the coveted true vintage tone that Gibson engineered in the 50's in Kalamazoo, MI which has shaped sound and music for decades.

Gibson Brite Wire 'Reinforced' Electric Guitar Strings:​
Already loved by fans and artists around the world, Gibson Brite Wire 'Reinforced' Electric Guitar Strings adorn every electric guitar built in our Gibson USA facility in Nashville, TN. Precision-wound and with a nickel-plated high strength carbon core, Brite Wires are the best performing strings for your electric guitar collection.

Gibson Acoustic Guitar Strings:​
Loved by our acoustic fans and artists around the world, Gibson Acoustic Guitar Strings are outfitted on every acoustic guitar built in our Bozeman, MT facility. With high-frequency clarity, perfectly balanced tone, and long-lasting performance, Gibson Acoustic Guitar Strings are the best-sounding strings for your acoustic guitar.

The re-energized Gibson brand is delivering compelling, relevant and loved guitars, gear and accessories with a renewed commitment from all of the Gibson Artists.

:salude

J T

That is kind of what I gathered from what they said yesterday. That these are "new" and why I was wondering what was up.

PaulD

Exact historic era specifications
Ultra-Light Gauge: .09 .011 .016 .024 .032 .042
Light Gauge: .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046
Medium Gauge: .011 .014 .018 .028 .038 .050

I was under the impression that strings available in the 50's were 11's and upwards, usually with a wound 3rd? How can 9's and 10's be exact historic era specification?

J T

Gibsons strings are a couple of buck more.

Interesting point about the wound G string. I assume they did not do that.

mdubya

I find the (up until now) Gibson Vintage Reissue Pure Nickels to be excellent strings, some of the best I have played. They are warm sounding imho, and they last longer than other strings.

I do not agree that they a repackaged D'Addarios. I have since switched to D'Addario and their Pure Nickels are 41, 31, and 23 on the wound strings. They feel different, too. I buy D'Addario because I can buy individual strings in bulk.

The Gibsons may have been GHS made, as GHS was one of the creditors Gibson owed significant $$$ to.

Maybe the re-launch has to do with a new supplier. I don't see any mention of round core, which I think would be true vintage spec.

I'll b sticking with D'Addario for now.

I'd like to try the Pyramids, but I need to be able to buy individual strings. Send me an alert when I can do that.

sonar

I loved Gibson Brite Wires from the old Elgin, IL plant. They were competitively priced and often on sale, competing against D'addario and Ernie Ball.

jrgtr42

I tried the VRs a ways back. I prefer (preferred) the Gibson Les Paul strings.
Hard to explain why, but the LP ones sound better to my ears.
It's hard to find them, these days, so I ususally end up with DR Pure Blues instead.

duaneflowers

I tried the VRs a ways back. I prefer (preferred) the Gibson Les Paul strings.
Hard to explain why, but the LP ones sound better to my ears.
It's hard to find them, these days, so I ususally end up with DR Pure Blues instead.

I prefer the Les Pauls to the VRs as well... perhaps the red thread has something to do with it. Pyramids are my go to though with DR Blues on deck. I keep Elixirs on guitars that don't get played much as they tend to me much more patient. :salude