• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

T Top Knockoffs anyone ever hear of these guys?

SFW

I've heard a lot about the Brandon Wound pickups. I know a lot of people don't like T Tops, but I actually really liked them in the 74 Custom that I used to own.

duaneflowers

Never tried any of Jared's pups but I've been hearing lots of good things about them for years and we've chatted quite a few times. He is the only one AFAIK that has a mold for T-TOP bobbins. :salude

gregc

Crazy maybe, but I thought tops were considered awful and basically responsible for ushering in the entire aftermarket pickup industry!?

AJCR

When amps only had overdrive if you cranked them, and the music styles were about hard rock distortion more than blues overdrive.....yes the t top was a bit lacking.......not that it stopped Angus Young whose original SG had t-tops......nor did they do poorly for Randy Rhoads in his 74 Custom.
Now with almost unlimited gain on tap at any volume you like, there is a huge move back to lower output pickups

There is also a large proportion of people merely repeating internet folklore without any direct experience in the pickups themselves:hmm

talonmm

With a name like T Top Knockoffs, it may not be long before they get a letter from Gibson....