• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - a week late!

DKoster

I finally decided that my 81 TobaccoSunburst Standard really needed to go to a new home with someone whowould play and enjoy it like I did since I bought it in 1982. Decided to drive the 35 miles into Tampa to a well-advertisedestablishment named Replay Guitar Exchange for an offer either as asale or trade.

Given the fact that it was 38 years oldand had very little in the way of buckle rash on the back, I thoughtI would be on the good side of $2Gs. Walked in, and they quicklylooked at it, called it junk and offered me $800! I couldn't believeit, and they asked me what I was looking for and said 2Gs or a tradefor a new SG. They proceeded to tell me the neck was warped, thetailpiece too high (as I liked it to keep the string angle off thebridge to a lesser degree). I had had it gone over just a year and ahalf ago by a professional luthier who proclaimed it in excellentcondition.

Needless to say, I left as fast as Icould. Stopped at Sam Ash on the way home and they were falling allover the place trying to get me to sell. They went as far as openingthe control cover, saw the factory metal shield was still there,along with the factory pots and wiring, except for the DuncanDistortion I had installed shortly after buying it.

Initially, they doubled the offer fromthe first shop, but I held to my price. Eventually swapped for a new61 SG Standard reissue and $200 cash. They are now advertising myLes Paul for $2,299.99! I hope they get their price.

Sad to see it go, but it was meant tobe played, which I really hadn't for a little over 20 years.

stephan_l

NGD without pictures? So this never happend :biggrin:

I own a '81 Custom in TobaccoSb and bought the same' 61 SG lately. So, to me this sounds like a big mistake, b/c my custom totaly knocks out the SG. Or maybe, is just different ;), the SG is no Les Paul!

What ever, congrats :salude