• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vintage "dog ear" P90 pole piece heights?

fernieite

Hi guys,

I've just acquired my first P90 equipped guitar (1963 LP SG Junior) and I was wondering how most of you have adjusted your "dog ear" 90 pole pieces?

What would a good starting point be? Ie, should the high and low E be level with the plastic cover and then the rest of the screws raised in a radius to match the fingerboard - or what? Thanks.

renderit

Clearer and cleaner sounds come with the pole pieces up and the body of the pickup down. Both up with the pole pieces almost all the way to the plastic results in a much warmer or dirtier sound depending on the P90.

I would start with the heads a bit up, maybe 1/8 inch above the cover and adjust each string up or down from there for balance. As it can also depend on string height and the strings themselves you may need to raise or lower the pickup ultimately. On a dogear this means shims.

The method you suggested may well be where you end up, but I would not start there (or if I did maybe just slightly to that model).

mdubya

I, personally, don't like to raise them very much as they interfere with my pick if they are very high.

You can always get shims to raise the entire pickup if it needs to be closer to the strings.

A '63 should have A5 magnets with plenty of output. IME, they like a little bit of room to breathe and don't need to be right up against the strings. My A5 P-90's do all sorts of good things when they hit their sweet spot, height adjustment wise.

mdubya

Clearer and cleaner sounds come with the pole pieces up and the body of the pickup down. Both up with the pole pieces almost all the way to the plastic results in a much warmer or dirtier sound depending on the P90.

I would start with the heads a bit up, maybe 1/8 inch above the cover and adjust each string up or down from there for balance. As it can also depend on string height and the strings themselves you may need to raise or lower the pickup ultimately. On a dogear this means shims.

The method you suggested may well be where you end up, but I would not start there (or if I did maybe just slightly to that model).

Right on!