• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fretboard wood identification

ryeburst

Hi LPF,

I would like some help identifying the type of wood used on these LPs. They advertised as Madagascar Rosewood. However, they look very different from each other. One is a lighter brown with more open grains and the other is darker,almost like ebony and is smooth with tight grain and few open pores.

Appreciate your feedback, Thank you!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EzkTwQqZL8n55K4FA

RandK

Lighter one is Indian rosewood. Grey, stripey, the pores. The darker one has been polished up, shiney maybe from oil, redder with some stripes. I would go Madagascar but another picture with a bright light on it would help.

ryeburst

Lighter one is Indian rosewood. Grey, stripey, the pores. The darker one has been polished up, shiney maybe from oil, redder with some stripes. I would go Madagascar but another picture with a bright light on it would help.

Thanks, RandK