The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

The $$ Value of Provenance

Any facts stated above questionable, and opinions are not necessarily to be taken seriously

Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar

Re: The $$ Value of Provenance

Not for that guitar; I say no.

In the Zone/Backstage Pass

I think it's COMPLETELY up to the individual buyer. I, and many other buyers of vintage guitars, see NO VALUE in "paying up" for a celebrity provenance. Obviously, there is another school of thought, as the prices for some celebrity guitars are stratospheric.

There are also other intangibles at play, call 'em "judgment calls". Just a few weeks ago, buyers went absolutely snap-out berserk for the Gilmour guitars. OTOH, this weekend Heritage will sell several absolutely first-rate guitars that come from Graham Nash, and if there is a celebrity premium, I expect it will be modest (with a couple of exceptions). Why? My theory is that, despite being in one of the most successful bands of all time, Nash isn't perceived as that much of an instrumentalist, let alone a guitar hero. These can thus offer really solid value, as the general provenance issues remain ironclad. I would not mind owning Nash's '54 Strat...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich R View Post
    I think it's COMPLETELY up to the individual buyer. I, and many other buyers of vintage guitars, see NO VALUE in "paying up" for a celebrity provenance. Obviously, there is another school of thought, as the prices for some celebrity guitars are stratospheric.

There are also other intangibles at play, call 'em "judgment calls". Just a few weeks ago, buyers went absolutely snap-out berserk for the Gilmour guitars. OTOH, this weekend Heritage will sell several absolutely first-rate guitars that come from Graham Nash, and if there is a celebrity premium, I expect it will be modest (with a couple of exceptions). Why? My theory is that, despite being in one of the most successful bands of all time, Nash isn't perceived as that much of an instrumentalist, let alone a guitar hero. These can thus offer really solid value, as the general provenance issues remain ironclad. I would not mind owning Nash's '54 Strat...
    I would not mind owning ANY '54 Strat
    Any facts stated above questionable, and opinions are not necessarily to be taken seriously

I think there should / would be some increase in provenance, being that this was owned by Ed King, and used on Sweet Home. However, this is something like 100 times the "regular" price for a similar guitar - maybe more depending on what the replaced pickups would do to the price.
    I couldn't say what I would be willing to pay - since I would be lucky to afford $45 and a couple guitar picks.
    but maybe in the $50 - $100K range for that provenance?
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

In the Zone/Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by au_rick View Post
    I would not mind owning ANY '54 Strat
    Well, that too...

Les Paul Forum Member

This is quite a fascinating subject because I was just talking about this same issue with a family member a couple of nights ago and I believe that original mint untouched instruments (Gibson , Fender , Martin ) command the best prices , but then if it has a celebrity provenance the price goes thru the proverbial roof ! It then becomes ones priorities if they have to have a celebrity owned instrument or a mint untouched clean instrument which will be a bargain versus a celebrity owned instrument . I do know some celebrities maintain there instruments originality and some chop them up to smithereens as it is no different than a private owner that alters there vintage instrument .

Les Paul Forum Member

Here's a good reason for it

All Original 1954 Esquire..

https://reverb.com/item/27705463-fen...er-1954-blonde

But then.... It's a white guard!!!! (an early one)

https://blackguardlogs.com/guitars/detail/2552

Plus original case being sold elsewhere

I don't trust sellers that "part out" BFG's

https://reverb.com/item/27315320-fen...lackguard-1952