• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Suhr Pickup into Les Paul SL (Epi) w/Two Single Coil

CKC411

Without thinking, I purchased a single coil SUHR pickup. I initially wanted to install as the neck pickup in my uber cheap Epi Les Paul SL. I am looking at the wiring and just do not see any compatibility. I figured they would likely end up out of phase, but I am now starting to think that I am a total bonehead and the Suhr is not compatible. Should I sell it. get another Suhr for the Bridge, wait for another Fender to enter my collection, see if anyone wants to trade, or just re-install the old pickup and pretend none of this ever happened? I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Craig

Zentar

It could be worse. I bought the hot Salsa sauce by mistake and ruined my rice/chicken/salsa dinner. The dogs won't eat hot stuff either.

PaulD

Assuming that the pickup will physically fit in the guitar there is no reason why it cannot be used. What makes you think the wiring is incompatible? As far as I know the original pickups are standard 2 wire pickups, don't know about the replacement one, how many wires does it have? A description of the wiring or better still good photos would help but it will be possible to use it.

CKC411

Assuming that the pickup will physically fit in the guitar there is no reason why it cannot be used. What makes you think the wiring is incompatible? As far as I know the original pickups are standard 2 wire pickups, don't know about the replacement one, how many wires does it have? A description of the wiring or better still good photos would help but it will be possible to use it.

You are right... the Suhr has a hot and ground. The originals just had a hot going into switch with a ground coming out of a pot and onto the bridge through the body. I just connected the hot off the new pickup (the wires are short) to the wire from the previous pickup and connected ground to the location where the second wire (the original had a cloth wire inside the how wire tubing, so two in one?) and I got sound. So if I wire the new pickup to the old pickup wire already soldered to switch, I just need to add wire to the white (ground) wire out of the Suhr to the same location as original and should be all set... hypothetically. I am still fairly new to all of this, especially the electronics. As a newly handicapped man, I started late in life because my physical world had to be dramatically altered. I appreciate your help and it was just what I needed to feel like I was close to a solution and confidant enough to keep working at it. THANKS,
Craig

PaulD

You're welcome, glad to be of help. If the original pickups have wire with a metal braid outer which I think is what you are describing then the inner wire is the hot and the outer braid is the ground, you just need to connect the hot and ground leads from your new pickup to the same places. (the ground wire can connect to any convenient ground point such as the back of a pot)

CKC411

You're welcome, glad to be of help. If the original pickups have wire with a metal braid outer which I think is what you are describing then the inner wire is the hot and the outer braid is the ground, you just need to connect the hot and ground leads from your new pickup to the same places. (the ground wire can connect to any convenient ground point such as the back of a pot)
I wish the rest of the country (and world) were as kind and supportive and decent and helpful as the people on most of these guitar forums. Is it just that people who play are just more relaxed, intelligent and well-balanced? Anyway, thanks!

CKC411

It could be worse. I bought the hot Salsa sauce by mistake and ruined my rice/chicken/salsa dinner. The dogs won't eat hot stuff either.

It is better than my dogs... they would eat it and then throw up all over the house and I would get to clean it up. Much easier to throw it out, pre-dog vs. semi-digested mixed with bile and old dog food. So I guess there is always a bright side.