• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Hard time deciding on pickups for my Les Paul Custom, need opinions

techter71

Hey guys, I don't post much usually just read all the threads but I wanted to reach out for some opinions. I have a 1999 Gibson Les Paul Custom and was never really a fan of the stock 490/498 pickups. I had replaced the bridge pup with a PRS Tremonti Treble back in my younger days when I was playing heavier music and thought I needed hotter pickups. Now in my slightly older/wiser age I prefer the vintage PAF style pickups for more blues and rock tones. Going to rewire the guitar with some VIP Pots, 50's style wiring and wanted to see opinions on what you guys think would be a nice set of pickups for this guitar as well as caps to go with them. Was checking out the Wizz, Tone Specific, OX4, Throwbak's and some other PAF Clones but most of the demo's I see them in Standards/Goldtops and not so much Customs. Wondering since this has an ebony fretboard and mahogany body with maple cap if there are certain pickups you guys think would work best so that they aren't overly bright but still have that clarity and bloom. Any help is greatly appreciated! - Terr

CatManDoo88

Hey guys, I don't post much usually just read all the threads but I wanted to reach out for some opinions. I have a 1999 Gibson Les Paul Custom and was never really a fan of the stock 490/498 pickups. I had replaced the bridge pup with a PRS Tremonti Treble back in my younger days when I was playing heavier music and thought I needed hotter pickups. Now in my slightly older/wiser age I prefer the vintage PAF style pickups for more blues and rock tones. Going to rewire the guitar with some VIP Pots, 50's style wiring and wanted to see opinions on what you guys think would be a nice set of pickups for this guitar as well as caps to go with them. Was checking out the Wizz, Tone Specific, OX4, Throwbak's and some other PAF Clones but most of the demo's I see them in Standards/Goldtops and not so much Customs. Wondering since this has an ebony fretboard and mahogany body with maple cap if there are certain pickups you guys think would work best so that they aren't overly bright but still have that clarity and bloom. Any help is greatly appreciated! - Terr

When it comes to PAF style replacement pickups, you should always remember that there was a good bit of variety among original PAFs since they were all made differently. Different winds, different magnets, etc. As a result, PAF replica makers tend to make a wide variety of different models to match specific PAF examples. Is there a particular PAF tone you are looking for? Any particular famous PAF tone you would like to emulate? (eg Jimmy Page, Clapton, Gibbons, Peter Green, etc.)

Truss Rob

The million dollar question ! So many schools of thought and opinions on this . I went through this exercise recently , and it was under advice of my luthier and also reading some of the experts posts here. Ironically I replaced the same pick ups.. 490 / 498 with Throbaks. I didn't do the standard "before and after " videos on Youtube, but we all have our "ear" and our "tone". I was impressed with Throbak's story and the way he winds, the "vintage accurate winding machine and processes ", and the quality . Again and I'm sure ad nauseam out here.. some like 490's but I do not .. many choices in brands , but I pulled the trigger and was worth the $560. They do all the repro finishes.. including the aged gold covers since you have a Custom . But just a humble dude's opinion. Now I'm going to run and duck and listen to some other opinions ! haha. Good luck !

Tim Plains

You've obviously done some research because you named a few good winders. My advice is to just pick one, email them, explain how the guitar sounds now, explain the sound(s) you're after, and see which set they recommend for your specific guitar.

techter71

When it comes to PAF style replacement pickups, you should always remember that there was a good bit of variety among original PAFs since they were all made differently. Different winds, different magnets, etc. As a result, PAF replica makers tend to make a wide variety of different models to match specific PAF examples. Is there a particular PAF tone you are looking for? Any particular famous PAF tone you would like to emulate? (eg Jimmy Page, Clapton, Gibbons, Peter Green, etc.)

Def a big fan of Jimmy Page and Joe B tones. I don't necessarily need to completely try and copy anyone's tone I just want to make sure I at least get sent in the right direction with what I'm working with and then I can always experiment with caps and such if need be...I don't like overly bright guitars and I know certain pup magnets and materials might bring out too much brightness with that ebony board. Was just hoping someone here had a similar LP with pickups other than stock that they like for blues/rock. Looking for that nice bloom in the notes with clarity on both neck and bridge. Running the guitar through a Friedman BE-50 Deluxe half stack so I have a lot of tone shaping options there too. I'm basically playing stuff from Zepp, Hendrix, BB King, Gary Clark Jr to Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pliots, etc if that helps. I have more than enough gain on tap from the amp so I don't need anything over-wound or hot like the PRS bridge pickup.

techter71

The million dollar question ! So many schools of thought and opinions on this . I went through this exercise recently , and it was under advice of my luthier and also reading some of the experts posts here. Ironically I replaced the same pick ups.. 490 / 498 with Throbaks. I didn't do the standard "before and after " videos on Youtube, but we all have our "ear" and our "tone". I was impressed with Throbak's story and the way he winds, the "vintage accurate winding machine and processes ", and the quality . Again and I'm sure ad nauseam out here.. some like 490's but I do not .. many choices in brands , but I pulled the trigger and was worth the $560. They do all the repro finishes.. including the aged gold covers since you have a Custom . But just a humble dude's opinion. Now I'm going to run and duck and listen to some other opinions ! haha. Good luck !

Awesome! Glad to hear you like the Throwbaks and that you're having good luck with them. And yes need the aged gold covers for whatever I get since this guitar is well played and the hardware is pretty worn and a lot of paint is missing from the back of the neck. It's a player :). Thanks!!

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
You've obviously done some research because you named a few good winders. My advice is to just pick one, email them, explain how the guitar sounds now, explain the sound(s) you're after, and see which set they recommend for your specific guitar.

Yes, excellent advice--they all LOVE to give their opinions, you will not be seen as an annoyance!

Funny thing about timing. I was just on Youtube last night, researching original 3 PU models, and heard some fabulous sounding originals, and fabulous playing. They all sounded REALLY great, but the tones were all over the map (no wiring mods, all original)! They also sounded different from a '58 I used to own. I think there is much greater tonal variation between old Customs than is usually appreciated, more than Bursts.

What does this have to do with the OP? I don't think the construction differences with Standards have more than a slight effect, and that's probably placebo. It's a good thing: you can get whatever PAF tone you want out of them with the right PUs! :dude:

CatManDoo88

Def a big fan of Jimmy Page and Joe B tones. I don't necessarily need to completely try and copy anyone's tone I just want to make sure I at least get sent in the right direction with what I'm working with and then I can always experiment with caps and such if need be...I don't like overly bright guitars and I know certain pup magnets and materials might bring out too much brightness with that ebony board. Was just hoping someone here had a similar LP with pickups other than stock that they like for blues/rock. Looking for that nice bloom in the notes with clarity on both neck and bridge. Running the guitar through a Friedman BE-50 Deluxe half stack so I have a lot of tone shaping options there too. I'm basically playing stuff from Zepp, Hendrix, BB King, Gary Clark Jr to Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pliots, etc if that helps. I have more than enough gain on tap from the amp so I don't need anything over-wound or hot like the PRS bridge pickup.

If you are concerned about the guitar being overly bright, you may want to steer away from Wizz Pickups. The consensus around here is that they are great, but that they are on the brighter side for PAF style pickups. On the other hand, OX4 are generally considered to be darker, smoother pickups in a PAF style. I have a set of OX4 Beanos in my Les Paul, which I love a lot. Mark from OX4 is a great guy and great to deal with. Although I went with one of his off-the-shelf models, I understand from past reviews that he is very happy to discuss options with customers (magnet type, output, wind, etc.) and help them come up with something that suits their specific needs. Perhaps reach out to him if you are considering OX4?

With that wide variety of stuff you are playing, you may be interested in Mark's standard Alnico 4 offering. I understand that they are very versatile. However, I also understand that Alnico 4 pickups are typically very transparent. They let the natural tone of the guitar show through. if the guitar doesn't sound great to start off this, it may sound lacklustre with Alnico 4 pickups...

techter71

If you are concerned about the guitar being overly bright, you may want to steer away from Wizz Pickups. The consensus around here is that they are great, but that they are on the brighter side for PAF style pickups. On the other hand, OX4 are generally considered to be darker, smoother pickups in a PAF style. I have a set of OX4 Beanos in my Les Paul, which I love a lot. Mark from OX4 is a great guy and great to deal with. Although I went with one of his off-the-shelf models, I understand from past reviews that he is very happy to discuss options with customers (magnet type, output, wind, etc.) and help them come up with something that suits their specific needs. Perhaps reach out to him if you are considering OX4?

With that wide variety of stuff you are playing, you may be interested in Mark's standard Alnico 4 offering. I understand that they are very versatile. However, I also understand that Alnico 4 pickups are typically very transparent. They let the natural tone of the guitar show through. if the guitar doesn't sound great to start off this, it may sound lacklustre with Alnico 4 pickups...

Awesome, that's great information...I will dig deeper into the OX4's for this guitar then. Thank you!