• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Hard time deciding on pickups for my Les Paul Custom, need opinions

techter71

Hey guys, I don't post much usually just read all the threads but I wanted to reach out for some opinions. I have a 1999 Gibson Les Paul Custom and was never really a fan of the stock 490/498 pickups. I had replaced the bridge pup with a PRS Tremonti Treble back in my younger days when I was playing heavier music and thought I needed hotter pickups. Now in my slightly older/wiser age I prefer the vintage PAF style pickups for more blues and rock tones. Going to rewire the guitar with some VIP Pots, 50's style wiring and wanted to see opinions on what you guys think would be a nice set of pickups for this guitar as well as caps to go with them. Was checking out the Wizz, Tone Specific, OX4, Throwbak's and some other PAF Clones but most of the demo's I see them in Standards/Goldtops and not so much Customs. Wondering since this has an ebony fretboard and mahogany body with maple cap if there are certain pickups you guys think would work best so that they aren't overly bright but still have that clarity and bloom. Any help is greatly appreciated! - Terr

techter71

Not sure how this posted twice but this thread can be deleted sorry about that! I have another that has replies in it

Dr. Green

Projet-SeymourDuncan-sethlover.jpg

scovell001

Hi Techter71,

can you you give us a little more information such as :

what is is the general tonal signature of the guitar is it dark/bright etc ?

what amp will you use ?

can you give us 1-2 ideas of the songs you like to play ?

A set of pickups that have surprised me recently are the Montys PAF (uk winder). I didn’t think I would like them (I prefer a fatter sound) but was surprised by how versatile they seem to be.

Anyway give us a bit more info & we can help point you the right-ish direction

EdwardR9

Hi Techter71,

can you you give us a little more information such as :

what is is the general tonal signature of the guitar is it dark/bright etc ?

what amp will you use ?

can you give us 1-2 ideas of the songs you like to play ?

A set of pickups that have surprised me recently are the Montys PAF (uk winder). I didn’t think I would like them (I prefer a fatter sound) but was surprised by how versatile they seem to be.

Anyway give us a bit more info & we can help point you the right-ish direction

Only 1 of three sets of my Monty's PAF has the offset to sound like a tele on steroids. The other three are damn good meaty PAF style though. Long wait.

I have every major PAF replica in a drawer to do my own showdown. Wizz to Virgil Arlo. I am waiting on a part of Amber to make it a full spread real deal showdown.
Even have a pair of 61' PAF.

I want the real top end sizzle and clear bottom end of a PAF and the tele on steroids.