• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Figurred B vs Figured R maple top

Begray Dactor

Hi folks,

I've got a copy of the Gibson Custom M2M catalogue and I'm looking at the tops on offer such as figured B & Figured R.

I own a Les Paul with a Figured B top and it looks great, but has anyone bought a Les Paul with a Figured R top and could you post a pic just to give me an idea what it looks like. I can't find an obvious example online.

Cheers.

Big Al

M2M means you pick the actual top. B and R were two of the choices available at that time. There is no B or R type or grade.

Begray Dactor

M2M means you pick the actual top. B and R were two of the choices available at that time. There is no B or R type or grade.

Hi Al,

On the one occasion I purchased an M2M guitar I specified a figured B to buy I was never given the chance to actually pick the top.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Big Al

Hi Al,

On the one occasion I purchased an M2M guitar I specified a figured B to buy I was never given the chance to actually pick the top.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Not like any M2M experience I've had. The "Made to Measure" part is that. You are working with the Dealer to special order your personal guitar. What was specifically made to order for you that is unavailable in a stock 59 Reissue?

Begray Dactor

Not like any M2M experience I've had. The "Made to Measure" part is that. You are working with the Dealer to special order your personal guitar. What was specifically made to order for you that is unavailable in a stock 59 Reissue?

Hi Al,

Up until now I've been ordering Les Paul Custom models (split diamond headstock variety). Every thing that can be customised has been available to me, except, for me being able to see which top I want and choosing that specific one. I can only specify figured B or R top. The actual top and the flame on it is up to someone else to decide.

Big Al

Hi Al,

Up until now I've been ordering Les Paul Custom models (split diamond headstock variety). Every thing that can be customised has been available to me, except, for me being able to see which top I want and choosing that specific one. I can only specify figured B or R top. The actual top and the flame on it is up to someone else to decide.

You say everything available was ordered. What I'm curious about is just what custom options you specified that was unavailable on the stock model. Also what Gibson M2M catalog?? You said you were looking at pictures of examples of each so doesn't that give you your obvious examples?

M2M is worked up at the dealer and top choices are shown, along with mahogany backs and fingerboards, online to choose. There are dealer fsr M2M runs made to dealer specs, but you claim you ordered, or choose options unspecified from a catalog, including R or B figure which is not a grade or wood choice.

Or, is this a store catalog with some internal inventory lable??

renderit

Unless they have changed, no.

You may specify the top grade.

But maybe it has changed...

Begray Dactor

Wow Al, I must say that your sensationally uninformed response to my post reaffirms my opinion about people like you. Individuals who trawl sites like this with all of the answers but really don't know what they're talking about. Nevertheless I'll play.

You say everything available was ordered. What I'm curious about is just what custom options you specified that was unavailable on the stock model.

Chambering and a slim taper neck are what I ordered and received which were not standard on my model. Light weight mahogany body, maple body, 5 piece neck plus several others which can be selected when placing an order at the dealer and not stated in the booklet (see below)

[/QUOTE] Also what Gibson M2M catalog??[/QUOTE]

Gibson M2M cover.jpg THIS ONE

[/QUOTE]You said you were looking at pictures of examples of each so doesn't that give you your obvious examples?[/QUOTE]

Gibson Figured B & R.jpg Not exactly definitive. I was hoping others could provide examples of there's rather than just one picture out of a catalogue.

[/QUOTE]M2M is worked up at the dealer and top choices are shown, along with mahogany backs and fingerboards, online to choose. There are dealer fsr M2M runs made to dealer specs, but you claim you ordered, or choose options unspecified from a catalog, including R or B figure which is not a grade or wood choice.

Or, is this a store catalog with some internal inventory lable??[/QUOTE]

On this point you are correct. When placing an order through a dealer you can specify options which may be available on other models (anyone want an Ebony board on a Les Paul 59 reissue. Sure, it can be done through M2M). And yes it is a store catalogue for a non USA retailer. I have seen this same catalogue I think posted on this site long before I got my hands on this particular catalogue. It should be pointed out that my dealer (who isn't based in the USA, doesn't have pictures of specific tops or boards. You order as per the catalogue and you get what you get.

Al, let me close by saying that despite you having a monstrous number of posts on this site (which some may see as a sign of great knowledge, I do not) may I humbly suggest that unless you're absolutely sure of what you're talking about, don't say anything.

Now, if by some chance anyone reading this has ordered an M2M through the custom shop with a Figured R top feel free to post your tops. I'd love to see what you got.

Attachments

• Gibson M2M 59 & 60 options.jpg
    Gibson M2M 59 & 60 options.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Gibson M2M LP Custom.jpg
    Gibson M2M LP Custom.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 13

renderit

Al is the bee's knees and generally pretty spot on. He is an acquired taste like a fine single malt. At first it tastes like bourbon somebody put their cigar out in. At some point you realize there is something there. Then you actually enjoy it.

Pics
Top.

35484935484_ca68f04b69_b.jpg

The finished product...The Black Widow

36321324955_e833bfcefa_k.jpg

36321333775_881e266f38_k.jpg

43895562040_7c224c6d30_k.jpg

renderit

Also, no before pics, but something is going on with another M2M (both called Historic Selects at the time, used TH specs on the builds).

36143144352_a856949446_k.jpg

36175670811_a3a7d249d4_k.jpg

36143136192_79c2a529f4_k.jpg

And my other M2M

36277890376_c6f92cd8e3_k.jpg

Why I did it?

36277629336_970f153703_k.jpg

Big Al

Why are you so hostile? I didn't attack you, only explained my experience with M2M and asked for clarity as your info is confusing to and still is. You said a type R and type B figure but there is no type B or R that I was made aware of. There was, as I tried to explain, a series of tops, center joined uncut like the picture Ren posted marked A, others with their own, G, S, T, V, or Z for example.

It is not a type A, the letter is specific to that top, to identify it. Other choices had their own letters as identifiers. As tops are sold new tops may be added with a similar letter but may not resemble the previous one. That is all tops marked C may look quite different. I was wondering if the B type Figured or R type Figured might be this, but you said you were not allowed to see a picture of the top. Which made me think it isn't this way I've done it and then wonder why give you a choice you can't pick as it seems that you can.

I am confused for that reason. M2M if you are making multiple custom choices as well as figure, should allow you to choose a specific top. It's been over a year for me so maybe somethings changed, but no one knows what a figured top B or R type is. I haven't seen a Catolog yet so I am very curious about that lable. A blind choice with only two options is hard to comprehend.

Western or Eastern? Fiddleback, Flame, Quilt, Curly, Ribbon, Tiger, Wild, Blister, etc., etc,.... Which two represent B or R?

This is why I have so many questions and ask for further info for clarity. I'm sorry you don't like questions and golly gee I didn't mean to taint your precious Forum experience. Please don't bother answering them, I've lost any interest and just feel free to attack and insult me if that makes you feel better.

renderit

Hi Renderit,

Was that first pic what Gibson nominated as a Figured R top?

No such nomenclature was presented to me at that time.

I had Wildwood do the negotiating as it was a pretty strange request and a very different build.

I specified:
1) nicely flamed top (they sent pictures for approval but i had no 'pick' per se)
2) to be painted over black on a 55 body
3) with red instead of brown back
4) with stinger
5) custom humbuckers with the wrap tail and gold hardware
6) it had to be serial number 1 for the 55's as I had the 1's in the 54 and 56 above.