• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Les Paul Custom Ebony vs Richlite Fretboard.*Video.

jb_abides

Wine Red sounded slightly better to me, especially unplugged. Other variables override fretboard, particularly neck / body wood. Each guitar is different. Was there supposed to be a point? :salude

Tim Plains

You can't attest the differences being due to the fretboard material. Compare two Customs with ebony and they could be just as different. Still, good vid. I'm sure many people search YouTube for it.

jb_abides

Like you said ebony is better, but there are so many other variables.

Ah, but I didn't say Ebony was better!

I said I preferred the Wine Red Custom; I didn't attribute my preference to its possessing Ebony fretboard material.

I just think the Wine LPC happened to sound better. Others may hear differently, especially over video quality audio. Others may just prefer the Alpine White LPC's sound.

There's little rationale for judging the sonic preference for Ebony vs Richlite fretboard material, especially on the basis of this video.

I don't mean to be belligerent here, I just don't understand what the video's message is supposed to be. There are no concluding remarks, no discussion put forth, etc. It's just 2 different LPCs being demonstrated. Both nice guitars, nice playing, nice rig, slightly different tonal characteristics. To my ears, the Wine LPC had the edge but I like more classic tones. A metalhead may hear more glorious tone in the White LPC. To each his own.
.........Of course, eyeryone knows Wine sounds better, the tone is in the color! :##

:salude

Last edited:

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
I agree that there's not much to be drawn from this video. I will add, however, that ever since rock musicians have used Customs, one of the main reasons for buying a custom IS the Ebony board and the block inlays. It's what makes a Custom cool! So, if Richlite (WTF?!?) is being substituted, it REALLY kills the buzz, IMHO (as well as the sales figures, I reckon...).

How many people can't wait to buy an R9 with a Brazilite plastic FB? Case closed.

riograndemud

oh and like the other thread about hysterics;it's all n' yur hands baby...
give it a whirl,
-mud