• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Which parts most improve guitar tone.

Dr. Green

The point here, which should be abundantly clear, is that guitars are individuals. And change doesn't necessarily make for an improvement across the board no matter how important we think our own experience on the matter is.

And additionally, adding in a 'few extra people' still makes for a wholly statistically insignificant sample size to try and draw any generalised conclusion from.

You're certainly not a science based person thats for sure

no - but I have been a mechanical Engineer for 30 years - you ?

AJCR

Well, your qualification learning (assuming you actually have one) should be saying your methodology and conclusions are complete failures.

If it isn't, then you crammed for your exams and forgot everything shortly after. I'm assuming if you have a job in the area you simply carry out the tasks that the senior thinkers design.

Or, you have a vested interest in spruiking the parts you are linking

fakejake

Wow, this really got a bit out of hand...:hmm

To get back to the OP (which apparently isn't replying to his own thread anymore...), if we are talking strictly guitar hardware, the parts that I noticed make the biggest difference are the wiring harness, the bridge, and the pickups. Especially the first two are not necessarily that expensive and can make quite drastic changes.

El Gringo

Wow, this really got a bit out of hand...:hmm

To get back to the OP (which apparently isn't replying to his own thread anymore...), if we are talking strictly guitar hardware, the parts that I noticed make the biggest difference are the wiring harness, the bridge, and the pickups. Especially the first two are not necessarily that expensive and can make quite drastic changes.

+1

riograndemud

Oh N',
that means yur left hand , er right hand, er pick n' hand too?
oh and not yur Dick,
thats fur after the show....
-mud

ff1337

Quite possible that English is not the op's native language. I did understand it well enough.

Parts are parts. Some can change tone, not always an improvement. I know from personal experience that in most cases it is all overhyped Barbie Burst Brigade window dressing. Yes, more authentic, vintage era repro parts are available for them that just have to have the 50's screw or dimple knob.

Don't make it sound better but makes some feel better.

But you seek an improvement without qualifying what is deficient. No answer there. The two things that show the biggest tone change is 1, string type and 2, pick type. Without a doubt more than any other.

The single biggest is a total PRO SETUP and arguabley the most important.

Two skilled hands and a brain make all the difference.

The rest is fine tuning that which needs to be done for your personal need.
I agree with big Al, I changed out a bunch of shit on an R9 and did it affect sound? Just the pickups did and honestly not for the better. I say try to find one good to go from the store and just enjoy and play the shit out of it. Some things that are often overlooked are just what Al pointed out, strings and picks lol! So true, I’m sure we’ve all experimented with just those two things over and over.

richie6

Here is something many people overlook
Experiment with different speakers/ cabinets
Learned this from a well respected amp builder
one of the best in the business .
Was blown away when I tried this how big of
a change and improvement the right speaker
can have on your tone.
I am a believer for life

Dr. Green

Well, your qualification learning (assuming you actually have one) should be saying your methodology and conclusions are complete failures.

If it isn't, then you crammed for your exams and forgot everything shortly after. I'm assuming if you have a job in the area you simply carry out the tasks that the senior thinkers design.

you don't know the first thing about me you "buzz-head "
I was involved in very complex mechanical design projects while you were on your paper route delivering newspapers

back to the subject - everyone knows that the players ability is the most important thing - if not you have a crappy song - getting better equipment just gets you a crappy song with better tone

the thing is that this forum is specifically here to discuss Historics including talking about how the components relate to tone

mustachio

I think the OP's question pertained to actual physical components and hardware.

proper nut slots (angle, depth, material)

proper ABR style bridges (I prefer Faber) but locking mechanisms have always killed sustain with guitars that have stop tails (wrap arounds are different)

low output pickup, in my experience, are easy to get all the gain you'll ever need with pedals and proper EQ'd amp, etc. Hot pickups are more difficult to "dial back".

I prefer audio taper pots with higher or equal tolerances to 550K pots and PIO caps. Makes a difference in feel and sound. Have Throbak prewire one for you. It'll make you realize how many more tones you can aquire with a tone knob on a Les Paul.

El Gringo

I think the OP's question pertained to actual physical components and hardware.

proper nut slots (angle, depth, material)

proper ABR style bridges (I prefer Faber) but locking mechanisms have always killed sustain with guitars that have stop tails (wrap arounds are different)

low output pickup, in my experience, are easy to get all the gain you'll ever need with pedals and proper EQ'd amp, etc. Hot pickups are more difficult to "dial back".

I prefer audio taper pots with higher or equal tolerances to 550K pots and PIO caps. Makes a difference in feel and sound. Have Throbak prewire one for you. It'll make you realize how many more tones you can aquire with a tone knob on a Les Paul.
I wanted to mention my experience with low output pickups which were Custombucker S version on a R9 I tried out recently thru a high gain Marshall and I was surprised at the tone and while it was not my own rig that I played thru there was something there that I was surprised about in regards to the tone of the pickups . Myself I am a high output ThroBak /Marshall user and for me it is so easy to dial in my sound and that's the way I prefer to go as I don't have to use overdrive/distortion pedals or mess with the amp dials as everything is so easy and that is the best for me .

tdarian

I'm going to try the ABM ABR-1 with the bell brass body, if it's earth shatteringly positive I'll report back.

I've liked for tone:

Brass Thumbwheels (over the stock steel)
Pigtail Zinc body ABR-1

I have not liked:

Brass tailpiece studs on my R7 (but they are good on my 2007 R6)

Brass or Steel tailpiece

I have found different offerings in steel parts to sound a bit different from each other, I'm assuming the alloys or total mass were different.

I think you'll have to try any part on your guitar to know what it does, and it's tricky when multiple parts swaps are involved.

fakejake

A couple of years back the mapleflame mod was really popular here on the LPF.
My Les Paul still has it and I really like it. Cost me less than 1$, but the effects were impressive.
To my ears, it gave the guitar more honkyness, bite and sustain.

surfreak

Is this your idea of what it means to be a LPF member? :bigal

iknowpeanuts

Getting the right strings and string gauge, getting the setup right, try top wrapping as well. You get a lot of mileage just toying around with this.

then maybe look at the posts and thumbwheel – if yours is steel try changing it to brass if you find the sound a bit too strident. brass is warmer

you can change the entire bridge to brass/steel/titanium etc but those strictly isnt the 'traditional' sound, but if u dont care then the worlds your oyster.

if u dont like how the guitar sounds right now its very unlikely any change will change your feelings towards it. if like it then its worth a punt if you must satisfy your curiosity – dont do anything thats irreversible though

i stop short of saying these will improve the tone because thats subjective. but they will certainly change the sound. maybe 5-10% at best though? if u really must 'quantify' it. its not a lot and u shouldnt have too high hopes, the ROI is often terrible hahaha

people usually suggest to change the pickups but the stock pickups (usually) are transparent enough to hear what your guitar more or less sounds like. but changing them to quality stuff like throbaks and wizz usually does add a bit more dynamics. i find its mostly just potted vs unpotted (just my opinion)

Rayvyn

Vintage bee caps made a HUGE difference in my last 2 2018s... Relatively cheap, relatively easy, a no brainer... The factory 2018 and previous caps SUCK (IMO)... Seem like they're more form than substance, (again IMO)...