The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member Red Rogue's Avatar

Esseries Nut width on unbound necks like Memphis '58 ES335 ?

Is it common, that the nut width of the unbound '58 ES 335 are narrow than the bound necks?

I´ve bought a 58 Historic ES 335 from 2016. Great guitar! The neck feels nice, but I noticed a different nut width (1.65"/42mm) instead of 1.687"/42,8mm that Gibson is saying in their descriptions.
    I`ve talked to another owner of that 58 Series, who had the same smaller nut width.
    Seems like Gibson is using the same fretboards for both series and just leave the binding.

What about your `58 ES 335 or maybe Juniors or other unbound Gibsons?

- Blues is the road -

Re: Nut width on unbound necks like Memphis '58 ES335 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rogue View Post
    Is it common, that the nut width of the unbound '58 ES 335 are narrow than the bound necks?

I´ve bought a 58 Historic ES 335 from 2016. Great guitar! The neck feels nice, but I noticed a different nut width (1.65"/42mm) instead of 1.687"/42,8mm that Gibson is saying in their descriptions.
    I`ve talked to another owner of that 58 Series, who had the same smaller nut width.
    Seems like Gibson is using the same fretboards for both series and just leave the binding.

What about your `58 ES 335 or maybe Juniors or other unbound Gibsons?
    I don't know where you are finding your descriptions, but the Gibson website has the '58 Reissue listing a "4.3358 cm / 1.707" wide nut. And they've been reported to have wide necks.
    "I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

Les Paul Forum Member Red Rogue's Avatar

Esseries Re: Nut width on unbound necks like Memphis '58 ES335 ?

Quote Originally Posted by wmachine View Post
    I don't know where you are finding your descriptions, but the Gibson website has the '58 Reissue listing a "4.3358 cm / 1.707" wide nut. And they've been reported to have wide necks.
    I found this on the Gibson site:

1.687"

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/El...mited-Run.aspx

At the moment, there seems to be no actual ES 335 1958, 1959... I don`t find them on their HP.

- Blues is the road -

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rogue View Post
    I found this on the Gibson site:

1.687"

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/El...mited-Run.aspx

At the moment, there seems to be no actual ES 335 1958, 1959... I don`t find them on their HP.
    Right. That link is for the 2018 model. So you have the 2016 '58 at 1.707 and the 2018 '58 at 1.687. Both unbound necks, so I don't know where you think bindings have anything to do with it. I find a more pressing question is why do 2 reissues of the same year have substantially different nut widths? Which one is more authentic?
    "I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

My 2014 `63 block inlay ES-335TDC has a width of 1.70". My 1960 Melody Maker has the same width. I know in 1966 Gibson went to a nut width of 1 9/16" inplace of the 1 11/16" width.. I have wide hands so any narrow nut Gibbo's I can't play.