• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pickups for Recording - Will Stock Get the Job Done ?

SonicExplorer

Hi,

Experienced guitarist and recording artist here, but having been a "super strat" guy I'm totally new to Les Paul style guitars. Have been spending months researching, learning and visiting some local stores but wanted to get some opinions on stock pickups for recording purposes....

Generally, for 80's classic metal tones (not the uber-distorted drop tuned modern metal), will any of the common pickups in Les Pauls do the job or should I plan on investing into the typical SD JB/59 type setup?

Seems most of the modern LP's come with various Burstbuckers or 57's, and the EPI's have Probuckers. Would any of these do the job or rather fall short on clarity or output?

Thanks,

Sonic

Dreman

For 80s metal, you'll want one with an A5 magnet.

So, from the current options, Burstbucker Pros or 61s. It looks like the '19 LP Classic uses 61s. I think Standards use BB Pros but with Gibson.com's new layout I can't figure out what's what anymore.

I've tried the BB Pros and they are quite strong. I feel they could do the job, provided you're not trying to replicate an exact tone, in which case SDs are your answer.

SonicExplorer

For 80s metal, you'll want one with an A5 magnet.

So, from the current options, Burstbucker Pros or 61s. It looks like the '19 LP Classic uses 61s. I think Standards use BB Pros but with Gibson.com's new layout I can't figure out what's what anymore.

I've tried the BB Pros and they are quite strong. I feel they could do the job, provided you're not trying to replicate an exact tone, in which case SDs are your answer.

That's one of my main frustrations at the moment...being new to the LP world my head is spinning trying to decipher the never-ending configurations that Gibson seem to insist imparting upon us.

The new 2019 Classic seems like a possible fit, but it has the 61 pickups that I'm not sure will be strong enough. The pickup charts I've see thus far don't have them listed so I cannot compare them to the BB Pro's to see how they rate. And, the LP Classic also uses a circuit board - which for the life of me I cannot understand. So if I need to change pickups life is not going to be easy, and long-term headaches could also surface should anything with the pots (or the switches inside) go bad.

Dreman

The consensus seems to be that the 61s are similar to the BB Pros except the slug coil gets the higher turn count as opposed the screw. The 'legacy' Gibson site lists their DCR @ ~7.75k (neck & bridge) and this ebay seller measured them around ~8.0k.

Whereas the BB Pro set is wound to ~7.45 neck / ~8k bridge.

As far as swapping, you can get terminal adapters for the Quick-Connect plug here or here that'll accept any brand & type of connection. To me that's more convenient than soldering anyway. Most people's gripe about the board is that you're stuck with 300k pots.

thejaf

If you're used to the JB/59 combo then go ahead and drop those in and be done.

SonicExplorer

If you're used to the JB/59 combo then go ahead and drop those in and be done.

Well, with a typical super-strat type guitar I know the JB/59 match often works well. However, with a 24.75" scale mahogany guitar, that combo may not necessarily be a good choice. That's why I'm trying to get some input on the typical stock pickups....trying to get a feel for what to watch out for....whether any stocks might get the job done as well as after market pickups for the 80's hot rodded Marshall type of tones.

Sonic