The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    The middle of nowhere/The center of everywhere.

2001 Gibson Classic 57's

I have a 2001 Gibson SG USA model with the stock Classic 57's.

What is the opinion from lovers of Classic 57's regarding this year of production?

Is this the original design?

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: 2001 Gibson Classic 57's

FWIW, I have a 2000 Elegant with the stock 57s. It's the only guitar I've owned in the last 25 years that I have had no interest in changing the pickups.
    2007 CR8
    2000 Elegant
    1953 J50

I don't think '57 Classic were stock in 2001 SG Standards or Specials, but you didn't specify exactly what model SG you have.

That said, that era 57's with that era wiring harness in an SG are damn near perfect.

I wish they would go back the old spec for '57 Classics.

Also:

I have a 1991 SG Special with an early '57 Classic + in it and it is just awesome for warm, sweet tones, with just a bit of bite.

I was unaware there were variations the 57 Classic design. Can someone enlighten me in regards to the different "eras?

My 1999 R9 came with stock 57 Classics. I have swapped p'ups numerous times on that guitar and keep going back to the 57 Classics.

JQ

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Q View Post
    I was unaware there were variations the 57 Classic design. Can someone enlighten me in regards to the different "eras?

My 1999 R9 came with stock 57 Classics. I have swapped p'ups numerous times on that guitar and keep going back to the 57 Classics.

JQ

I have heard multiple things from various p/u winders who claim they have changed over the years. The biggest drift seems to have been since 2010 or so. I don't know if they went from being built to spec in house to being built by a supplier to the lowest price, or imported from China, or what exactly.

I have 2 sets and a single very early 90's '57 +. They have always been my favorites and I loved them in pre-2010 ES 335's. I sent the set from my 2014 out to be re-wound, they were so far off of what I was expecting.

The middle of nowhere/The center of everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
    I don't think '57 Classic were stock in 2001 SG Standards or Specials, but you didn't specify exactly what model SG you have.

That said, that era 57's with that era wiring harness in an SG are damn near perfect.

I wish they would go back the old spec for '57 Classics.

Also:

I have a 1991 SG Special with an early '57 Classic + in it and it is just awesome for warm, sweet tones, with just a bit of bite.
    Hey thx for the reply! My 2001 USA SG is a '61 re-issue so i think the 57 Classic's are stock! Really great tone and vibe! A keeper