• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

String spacing on Special w/wraparound tailpiece

The Wedge

Hello everyone! I am looking to buy a new Special and noticed varying string spacing at the tailpiece in some pictures. Attached is an example. What would cause this? Defective tailpiece, poorly cut nut, or is it just a matter of seating the strings correctly when putting them on?

thank you for your expertise!

W

Attachments

• 50211E2B-889D-48F8-BD01-F3F174A7F08E.jpg
    50211E2B-889D-48F8-BD01-F3F174A7F08E.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 32

corpse

I had that on a Historic TV Jr. I fixed it.I filled the nut with baking power/crazy glue and cut a new slot 1mm to the right. Ten minute fix.

Big Al

This is not a nut issue in general. It is improper string seating and is an easy fix. I have owned dozens of wrap tail bridge vintage Gibsons since the 70's, as I found great utility and quality with these affordable vintage guitars. Back then Specials and Jrs were $300-$400, IIRC the 1958-1960 TV Special and Jrs were in higher demand, sometimes over $200 more than a cherry red version, but they stayed pretty affordable for decades!!

The Melody Makers averaged $150-$200. I bought a '59 in early 90's for $300 as, like the others, prices stayed low until everything went nuts in late '90's. I'm a skinflint and these were what I could afford. Just sayin' I've owned several, still do, and feel qualified to give an answer.

When installing strings I try to line up the string with the bridge pickup polepieces, adjusting the string while tightening and making sure the string is snug and seated properly before tunning to pitch. This is not hard and with practice it becomes automatic and second nature.

Once done, the string tends to stay put and over time will naturally wear tiny grooves into the bridge and want to anchor in this spot.

Hope this helps.

The Wedge

This is not a nut issue in general. It is improper string seating and is an easy fix. I have owned dozens of wrap tail bridge vintage Gibsons since the 70's, as I found great utility and quality with these affordable vintage guitars. Back then Specials and Jrs were $300-$400, IIRC the 1958-1960 TV Special and Jrs were in higher demand, sometimes over $200 more than a cherry red version, but they stayed pretty affordable for decades!!

The Melody Makers averaged $150-$200. I bought a '59 in early 90's for $300 as, like the others, prices stayed low until everything went nuts in late '90's. I'm a skinflint and these were what I could afford. Just sayin' I've owned several, still do, and feel qualified to give an answer.

When installing strings I try to line up the string with the bridge pickup polepieces, adjusting the string while tightening and making sure the string is snug and seated properly before tunning to pitch. This is not hard and with practice it becomes automatic and second nature.

Once done, the string tends to stay put and over time will naturally wear tiny grooves into the bridge and want to anchor in this spot.

Hope this helps.
I am hoping that this is the issue. I will find out later today. Thank you! Very informative!

AJCR

The pic I am seeing from the OP is most certainly caused by the strings sitting poorly at the bridge - not the least because the nut is not in shot at all.
Fix is by taking your fingers and moving the strings across the tailpiece so they sit in the right place.