The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

String spacing on Special w/wraparound tailpiece

Hello everyone! I am looking to buy a new Special and noticed varying string spacing at the tailpiece in some pictures. Attached is an example. What would cause this? Defective tailpiece, poorly cut nut, or is it just a matter of seating the strings correctly when putting them on?

thank you for your expertise!

W
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: String spacing on Special w/wraparound tailpiece

I had that on a Historic TV Jr. I fixed it.I filled the nut with baking power/crazy glue and cut a new slot 1mm to the right. Ten minute fix.

This is not a nut issue in general. It is improper string seating and is an easy fix. I have owned dozens of wrap tail bridge vintage Gibsons since the 70's, as I found great utility and quality with these affordable vintage guitars. Back then Specials and Jrs were $300-$400, IIRC the 1958-1960 TV Special and Jrs were in higher demand, sometimes over $200 more than a cherry red version, but they stayed pretty affordable for decades!!

The Melody Makers averaged $150-$200. I bought a '59 in early 90's for $300 as, like the others, prices stayed low until everything went nuts in late '90's. I'm a skinflint and these were what I could afford. Just sayin' I've owned several, still do, and feel qualified to give an answer.

When installing strings I try to line up the string with the bridge pickup polepieces, adjusting the string while tightening and making sure the string is snug and seated properly before tunning to pitch. This is not hard and with practice it becomes automatic and second nature.

Once done, the string tends to stay put and over time will naturally wear tiny grooves into the bridge and want to anchor in this spot.

Hope this helps.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by corpse View Post
    I had that on a Historic TV Jr. I fixed it.I filled the nut with baking power/crazy glue and cut a new slot 1mm to the right. Ten minute fix.
    Not the answer I was hoping for! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    This is not a nut issue in general. It is improper string seating and is an easy fix. I have owned dozens of wrap tail bridge vintage Gibsons since the 70's, as I found great utility and quality with these affordable vintage guitars. Back then Specials and Jrs were $300-$400, IIRC the 1958-1960 TV Special and Jrs were in higher demand, sometimes over $200 more than a cherry red version, but they stayed pretty affordable for decades!!

The Melody Makers averaged $150-$200. I bought a '59 in early 90's for $300 as, like the others, prices stayed low until everything went nuts in late '90's. I'm a skinflint and these were what I could afford. Just sayin' I've owned several, still do, and feel qualified to give an answer.

When installing strings I try to line up the string with the bridge pickup polepieces, adjusting the string while tightening and making sure the string is snug and seated properly before tunning to pitch. This is not hard and with practice it becomes automatic and second nature.

Once done, the string tends to stay put and over time will naturally wear tiny grooves into the bridge and want to anchor in this spot.

Hope this helps.
    I am hoping that this is the issue. I will find out later today. Thank you! Very informative!

Les Paul Forum Member

The pic I am seeing from the OP is most certainly caused by the strings sitting poorly at the bridge - not the least because the nut is not in shot at all.
    Fix is by taking your fingers and moving the strings across the tailpiece so they sit in the right place.