• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

TP6 tailpiece Keep or replace?

maxcarp709

My 1980 ES335 Pro came equipped with a TP6 tailpiece with the fine tuners.I thought it was pretty nifty and used the fine tuners to get the strings tuned to the proper pitch.After much use a couple of the fine tuning screws have broken off so I don`t use the fine tuners anymore.I can tune the guitar just fine with the tuners,it just takes a little longer to get it tuned just right sometimes.So my question is would a regular stop tailpiece be better tone wise and and if so which one?

rick c

My ES-Artist has an original TP6; looks pretty cool but I never use it and only leave it there for good old Gibson authenticity!

RandK

The TP-6 is a really heavy beast that influences the tone of the guitar. You might love the tone of a standard aluminum tailpiece or that may be too much of a change. Even a zinc tailpiece is a lot lighter than the TP-6. Might try swapping tailpieces from another guitar to test drive the tone. You can still get TP-6's, and of course there are Chinese copies.

maxcarp709

I don`t think I need to be putting any China made stuff on this guitar.I can get a Kluson USA made tailpiece cheap enough.One thing I need to look at is where I rest my hand when picking and if the regular stop tailpiece is more comfortable.I need to pull the LP out and check it out.

rick c

When muting, my hand rests on the bridge, not the tailpiece; you may have bigger hands than me! This may explain how the TP6 screws got broken.

maxcarp709

I tend to rest the heel of my hand on the tailpiece when picking over the bridge pup,and If I am muting I just move it up a bit to the bridge.I got the LP out for a bit yesterday and my hand rested on the tailpiece like it always has.I got the ES335 out today to compare and it was just a bit different.My hand can rest there naturally,but moving around I have to be more precise when coming back to the natural position.I probably did knock the head of the fine tuner for the 6th string by thrashing around.I think that is the tipping point for me,I will get a regular stop tailpiece for the 335 and try it out.If I get better sustain that will be a bonus.