• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Zappa

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
I'm not that big a fan of Zappa's lyric writing, but wow, what a monster guitar player he was. I'm overdue to put on one of the "Shut Up 'N' Play" instrumental albums one of these days.

SpencerD

That's an oddball guitar. The star inlay at the 5th fret and whatever the inlay at the 12th fret is are strange....the 6 mini toggles are stranger.

sonar

Saw him in '89. He was more of a conductor on this tour, but when he'd pick up the guitar he ripped.

I'm more or a Captain Beefheart kinda guy, but appreciate Zappa's skill as one of the best.

S. Cane

IMHO he was a real kickass player who was too eccentric to come up with a real kickass song.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
a reel kick ass song??? you kid right????

Zappa's bands were invariably stuffed with monster players, but I think he was more interested with writing subversive, satiric lyrics on top of complex rhythmic patterns and harmonic progressions, than, say, a tight three-minute radio friendly single. And even he admitted that the success of "Valley Girl" was a complete fluke, in large part thanks to Moon Zappa's parody of the typical val gal voice.

Texas Blues

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lWQb_T9_nwA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Frank.