• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Opinions on this Mint '55 Goldtop

sws1

my 61 sg standard has a dark check just like that on the heel, i have never figured out if its a hairline crack or a finish check. it was however a bargaining chip when i bought the guitar.
it will also be an advantage for the next buyer.
its a good point that this goldtop has the tuneomatic bridge. my last 56 i got is real clean a few years back for 25k. would i sell it for 40? no. but i,m in it for the long haul

I suppose if the guitar gets sold via photos, there's that chance. If it's sold in person, it's pretty clear that it's not a crack. I'd likely take a lot of close up, macro photo from several angles to show it.

agogetr

how many all gold 55's are even out there? and in this condition i,m thinkin its a really rare one. 39k might seem like a lot but its a rare piece . if you want the best....brake out the checkbook

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
how many all gold 55's are even out there? and in this condition i,m thinkin its a really rare one. 39k might seem like a lot but its a rare piece . if you want the best....brake out the checkbook

All Gold versions are less desirable that Goldtops, in the marketplace. :ganz

Rex Carlson

I can say with certainty, it's a finish check. I just played said guitar.
I was going to add, for future reference, a headstock break would follow the grain of the wood not cut across it as in the pic. It's for a sure a finish check.

agogetr

All Gold versions are less desirable that Goldtops, in the marketplace. :ganz
of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i would take an all gold because i think they look cooler.
as for rarity im thinking an all gold one in that condition would be rarer and harder to find than a regular one.
how many near mint all gold ones like this one are out there? or total production of all golds in 55?
is there a chance this could be the cleanest 55 tunomatic all gold lp in existence? its a really cool guitar for sure.