• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Opinions on this Mint '55 Goldtop

agogetr

its a shiney popsicle. 25k maybe 27. if it is 100 percent.
if you pay 30 you are betting your retirement funds that the market will hold out.
it could be a 50k guitar in 5 years. i think it will be but dont cut the check if you need to sell later for cans of catfood you call tuna

F-Hole

its a shiney popsicle. 25k maybe 27. if it is 100 percent.
if you pay 30 you are betting your retirement funds that the market will hold out.
it could be a 50k guitar in 5 years. i think it will be but dont cut the check if you need to sell later for cans of catfood you call tuna

You're underestimating its value, the seller is overestimating its value.

True value is somewhere in the middle.

opdev

Looks like it sold fast. Didn't even get to float my 36K offer.

Next.....

JBLPplayer

Mint is mint... after 9.5 condition all bets are off in my experience. :dude:
Joe B

rob livesey

That dealer is Mike Long.

He came along to an LPF meet a couple of years ago and hung out for the afternoon with us nerds.

He's a nice guy and gets a lot of very nice and original guitars. I look at his online guitar site far too often than is healthy for me.

Rob.

mingus

Mint is mint... after 9.5 condition all bets are off in my experience. :dude:
Joe B

That about sums it up.

Condition is always a huge factor and to paraphrase many others in the biz, “go find another one”.

T.Allen

1955-GT.jpg

This might be an issue. It looks like more than a finish check to me. It would need an in-hand look. Really nice guitar otherwise!

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
1955-GT.jpg

This might be an issue. It looks like more than a finish check to me. It would need an in-hand look. Really nice guitar otherwise!

Interesting catch. Don't know what that is. Seems highly unlikely that this type of seller would not disclose a real problem, like a headstock repair. It also doesn't look like any break I've ever seen. At the same time, what are the odds of a single, isolated finish check? Maybe they're everywhere. Who knows? One thing's for sure: it's someone else's guitar now.

JIMI55LP

Looks very fine and I think if is over priced about 10 k ? The checking at the neck/headstock is a concern and I'd have to have an inspection period for possible return. Very Fine!

sws1

1955-GT.jpg

I can say with certainty, it's a finish check. I just played said guitar.

marshall1987

I can say with certainty, it's a finish check. I just played said guitar.

Perhaps so, but still somewhat peculiar that the line appears exactly at the weakest point on the guitar's headstock. Why would the only "finish check" on the headstock appear at this location and not further up near the tuners, for example?

Disregarding this apparent "blemish", the guitar is absolutely stunning! I like it. The tune-o-matic bridge on a 1955 model establishes pricing like a similar 1956 gold-top with a tune-o-matic. And you're not going to find a mint 1956 LP gold-top for less than $35K.

sws1

Perhaps so, but still somewhat peculiar that the line appears exactly at the weakest point on the guitar's headstock. Why would the only "finish check" on the headstock appear at this location and not further up near the tuners, for example?

Disregarding this apparent "blemish", the guitar is absolutely stunning! I like it. The tune-o-matic bridge on a 1955 model establishes pricing like a similar 1956 gold-top with a tune-o-matic. And you're not going to find a mint 1956 LP gold-top for less than $35K.

It's not the only finish check. In person, there are others that are visible. Hard to see in the photo, but if you look about the first or 2nd fret, towards the binding, you'll see several check marks. Those are far more obvious in person.

marshall1987

It's not the only finish check. In person, there are others that are visible. Hard to see in the photo, but if you look about the first or 2nd fret, towards the binding, you'll see several check marks. Those are far more obvious in person.

Above post....I was just playing "devil's advocate" cause that's what buyers are going to do. The weakest point on the headstock, just above the nut, is where the potential for the slightest "movement" of the wood substrate (due to hygroscopic and mechanical factors) to induce a finish check line.

Put another way...the wood at the neck/headstock transition can bend ever so slightly just above the nut, and may lead to cracking of the brittle lacquer finish. Think about it....trees bend all the time without breaking. That's the inherent nature of wood.

agogetr

Above post....I was just playing "devil's advocate" cause that's what buyers are going to do. The weakest point on the headstock, just above the nut, is where the potential for the slightest "movement" of the wood substrate (due to hygroscopic and mechanical factors) to induce a finish check line.

Put another way...the wood at the neck/headstock transition can bend ever so slightly just above the nut, and may lead to cracking of the brittle lacquer finish. Think about it....trees bend all the time without breaking. That's the inherent nature of wood.
my 61 sg standard has a dark check just like that on the heel, i have never figured out if its a hairline crack or a finish check. it was however a bargaining chip when i bought the guitar.
it will also be an advantage for the next buyer.
its a good point that this goldtop has the tuneomatic bridge. my last 56 i got is real clean a few years back for 25k. would i sell it for 40? no. but i,m in it for the long haul