• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Correct tuners for 1987 Les Paul Standard

Sam Gnstan

IMG_2154.jpg
I recently bought an '87 Les Paul Standard and the tuners, which I don't think are original (see pic) are shot. Does anyone know what the original tuners would be? Hopefully they are still available for purchase. Thanks for your help.

Sam Gnstan

The "stems" are wobbley and of course they won't stay in tune. Is there a way to repair them?

Big Al

Sometimes you can remove back cover and tighten post screw. Not a fun job. Are they press fit bushings or as I think, screw in post bushings? Some post wobble may be present without string installed as the post bushing has a slightly larger post hole diameter. There should be no wobble when string is properly installed and tuned to pitch. I've never had a machine head back off tune, or slip back. But strings streach and present slippage when improperly installed on post or catching in worn nut or saddle slots, releasing when bent etc..

Most common tuning issue with machine heads involve imprecise ability to target pitch, due to gear ratio. The dreaded tune up and down, trying to hit that pitch dead center. aaaaaAAAAAARRRRRGGGHH!!!!

I use a strobe tuner with tight pitch centers and very precise. Most non strobe tuners are not precise and the note may show in tune but may be slightly sharp or flat and the slightest slippage will be extremely noticeable. Multiply by 6 and you'll get enough potential for sour notes that lemons will pucker.

So, proper string install, quality strobe tuner yadda yadda yadda, what tuning machine options do you have without modifying the guitar? Depends on bushing type. Screw in post bushings require a larger post hole than press in bushings. Any Kluson style machine head will directly replace those with the same type bushing. You can get adapter bushings that fit the larger screw in type post holes to allow for any press in, [vintage type], bushing Kluson type to be used as well.

There are several makes and models available for that classic Kluson footprint and I'd get a high ratio, 18:1 at least, version, double ring butterfly button that appeals to you for a close to stock match.

I don't know if any of this helps but others will soon offer some good counsel, lot's of smart, experienced bros here.

Sam Gnstan

Thank you Big Al for your considerable knowledge of tuners! You’ve given me a lot to think about. I will definitely research tuners that are a direct replacement as I don’t want to modify the original holes. Grovers have a lifetime guarantee! Thanks again.

Elmore

My 87 had tuners that were single ring and said Gibson Deluxe. The housing fell off one of them and I replaced them with look alike Tone Pros that said something close to Gibson Deluxe but not exactly the same.