• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Truth about Vintage Amps

corpse

Perfect for a road trip- without the Mrs of Course.

TM1

Perfect for a road trip- without the Mrs of Course.

you nailed that one! Took a 2 week trip and I know my wife would not want to hear this stuff(even though I work on amps nearly every day..). It was pushing it for her with listening to Mayall/Clapton & Cream.. 2400 mile trip..

Oatie

Skip is a great tech. I bought an old April 1960 tweed Twin years ago and he signed the inside in pencil, it still is all original except the filter and bias caps. I run Celestion Golds and Creams in it. Episode 5 he talks about variacs, he said everyone does not need one. If your into music and have old amps the variac is a must. I run my voltage at 110-115 for the old tweeds & Marshalls and the tone is so much better. Just dropping the voltage down 5 volts the tone improves. I haver one variac set up with a current limiter and an analog voltage meter. You un-screw the knob on the top of the variac and calibrate the voltage to the meter, I use a P3 digital meter as well and when the variac is at 120v. I tighten the 2 allen screws on the top of the variac knob. Now the voltage on the actual meter is accurate. I always go by the analog meter and the digital meter, the digital meter switches to amps, Hz, , and watts too. Skip has done so many amps in his life.

corpse

Vintagesoundworkbench.com or Brown Box- perfect for this and makes a big impact.

agogetr

you nailed that one! Took a 2 week trip and I know my wife would not want to hear this stuff(even though I work on amps nearly every day..). It was pushing it for her with listening to Mayall/Clapton & Cream.. 2400 mile trip..
shoulda played maddona. she would apreciate your sensitive side. worked for me.

agogetr

Skip is a great tech. I bought an old April 1960 tweed Twin years ago and he signed the inside in pencil, it still is all original except the filter and bias caps. I run Celestion Golds and Creams in it. Episode 5 he talks about variacs, he said everyone does not need one. If your into music and have old amps the variac is a must. I run my voltage at 110-115 for the old tweeds & Marshalls and the tone is so much better. Just dropping the voltage down 5 volts the tone improves. I haver one variac set up with a current limiter and an analog voltage meter. You un-screw the knob on the top of the variac and calibrate the voltage to the meter, I use a P3 digital meter as well and when the variac is at 120v. I tighten the 2 allen screws on the top of the variac knob. Now the voltage on the actual meter is accurate. I always go by the analog meter and the digital meter, the digital meter switches to amps, Hz, , and watts too. Skip has done so many amps in his life.
wow good info!

TM1

shoulda played maddona. she would apreciate your sensitive side. worked for me.
Nah, she’s not a Madonna fan. I was already 30 when she came out. Wasn’t exactly my type of music.... nothing about her had loud amps and electric guitars..

garywright

When she broke, I was busy with the band I was in. We were on MCA Records and busy touring, recording & rehearsing. There weren’t many days off back then...

Tm1 ..What band was that ?

latestarter

Back to the OP.

this podcast is very good. I’ve been listening to it for about a month in the car and on planes. I really dig Skip’s style and Jason is a good facilitator. Great fun podcast.

agogetr

Nah, she’s not a Madonna fan. I was already 30 when she came out. Wasn’t exactly my type of music.... nothing about her had loud amps and electric guitars..
i loved millie vanillis music. you know who else had a killer album was clay aiken.

CK6

Interesting...what is considered an "old amp"?

I have two 2203's (1981 & 1984). Do you think they would benefit from a Variac as well?

Thanks.

agogetr

Interesting...what is considered an "old amp"?

I have two 2203's (1981 & 1984). Do you think they would benefit from a Variac as well?

Thanks.
early eighties is getin a bit old. and the awnser to you question is 'yes' to an extent. i know a variac can change tone but i.m.o. you should really look into an attenuator. i heard the 'power station' is a good one. i cant wait to try one!