• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bought a 2008 Les Paul Standard + with switched electronics. Should I be mad?

Wishtrader

I recently bought an average priced 2008 Les Paul Standard online. The seller presented the guitar as factory original, untouched.
When the guitar arrived I hit my first chord and I knew something was different. I've owned 3 les Pauls before.
This one sounded different, in a pleasing way, to me. I opened up the control cavity and found it was hard wired.
I thought Gibson went to the circuit boards in 2008. I pulled the pickups to find Lollar 2011 El Rayo pickups. The jack
has also been changed from the gibson locking jack to a standard jack.
I messaged the seller to get more info but they haven't responded.
What I'm wondering does this wiring look up to snuff? Pair of Lollars cost $250-$300 used. Burstbucker Pros are $100-$125 a pair used.
Did the seller do me a favor by upgrading the guitar. Maybe he bought it used and never checked it and lied about being the original owner?
Any help would be appreciated.
a standard jack

Attachments

• 20190618_154928.jpg
    20190618_154928.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20190619_154420.jpg
    20190619_154420.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 20190619_154442.jpg
    20190619_154442.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190619_154452.jpg
    20190619_154452.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190619_155142.jpg
    20190619_155142.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 56

one

I like what you got, but I'm comfortable with mods such as those, which are improvements IMO. However, many owners want things stock, and if you're one of them, you have every right to be mad. And on general principle, listing something incorrectly is really bad, no two ways about it. So while this is disturbing on principle, to me you come out ahead. I would check everything else, however.

Scott L

The "08 Standard " was the one that had the PCB - also the Asymmetrical Neck Profile, Locking Grover Keystone Tuners and the Nu-Trick input jack. These were introduced mid-2008.

Prior to these in 2008, the Standard was more of a regular LP, but were chambered.

El Gringo

As the above poster mentioned if you wanted bone stock then you are upset , but upon my looking at your cavity and pickup photos I myself would be very happy as you were given a upgrade and would love to know how you like the sound . I know that you already mentioned that you knew something was different .

Wishtrader

Thank you for all of your replies.
Yes the upgrades sound great.
I did receive a reply from the seller who claimed he has
So many guitars that he forgot he upgraded
This one. He felt that his upgrades arguably added
To the value of the guitar. After a few messages back and forth, he decided to refund $100 so I could purchase period correct Gibson humbuckers and electronics. In case I want to ever restore the guitar. So I guess I can't be mad.
Thanks for the help guys.

Texsunburst59

Congrats on a KILLER LP.

I love my '08 Gibson Wine Red LP Standard Plus.

I love the weight(chambered) and neck on my guitar.

I think the pickups are adequate, but an upgrade would be welcome.

I was lucky enough to score my stock '08 LP Standard Plus a few years ago at a pawnshop for $762.

Hard to pass up a killer deal like that.

Here's a pic of mine.

40855391814_f12b703b9c_b.jpg

maxwedge

Those Jensen caps are paper/oil and very good + lots $. Lollar make really good pickups but I'm not familiar the El Rayo. Looks like a .022 uf on the bridge and .047 uf cap on the neck pu, I'd leave it if I were you and if it sounds good. Go to Lollar and look up his pickups.

PS: But it doesn't look like he did a good job of putting those caps in there!

Last edited:

jb_abides

Those Jensen caps are paper/oil and very good + lots $. Lollar make really good pickups but I'm not familiar the El Rayo. Looks like a .022 uf on the bridge and .047 uf cap on the neck pu, I'd leave it if I were you and if it sounds good. Go to Lollar and look up his pickups.

PS: But it doesn't look like he did a good job of putting those caps in there!

Definitely doesn't look like your standard RS drop-in kit :rofl

El Rayos have a different profile, you need to judge with your ears. Look up on Lollar. It was good of him to refund you because of the misunderstanding. I get where seller's coming from and believe him... but he coulda-shoulda done his own due diligence by opening up the cavities prior to listing.

If you like the guitar as much as your first impression seems to indicate, and there's no obvious faulty wiring despite the ugliness, I would be inclined to keep it and count myself as ahead on this deal.

If you really wanted stock for resale, collection sake, etc. then OK you have a beef.

Sounds like it's a player / keeper so you have a good mod, good story. :hank

:salude

Musicman

Thank you for all of your replies.
Yes the upgrades sound great.
I did receive a reply from the seller who claimed he has
So many guitars that he forgot he upgraded
This one. He felt that his upgrades arguably added
To the value of the guitar. After a few messages back and forth, he decided to refund $100 so I could purchase period correct Gibson humbuckers and electronics. In case I want to ever restore the guitar. So I guess I can't be mad.
Thanks for the help guys.

I'd say you made out pretty good. Congrats! :dude:

WytLytnyn

I can tell you that I would go for these electronics that are in the guitar.

As a recent convert to 50s wiring, it took me awhile to get used to the sweep on the pots. Once I did, I really fell in love with a guitar and saw how much it changed its character and added a lot of personality to it.

It sounds like the owner was pretty decent about situation and was honest about not knowing what had been switched and what had not.

Something tells me you're going to like this guitar for a long time. I hope it serves you well.