• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vintage LP Standard when new vs Historic

iloveguitars79

I've recently gone down the wormhole of replacement plastics for my '08 R9 and in doing so have learned a bit about "bone white" vs cream. Is it true original late 50s pickguards were originally a bone white color? I can't find any old pictures of les pauls where it's definitive. Any newer pics, the guard has aged and I really can't tell..

I've also found that original switch tips where actually white, which aged to the brownish color you see now. Which begs the question - if non-VOS "True Historics" and the like are a near perfect modern representation of a new 1959 LP, why are the switch tips not white?

brandtkronholm

I've recently gone down the wormhole of replacement plastics for my '08 R9 and in doing so have learned a bit about "bone white" vs cream. Is it true original late 50s pickguards were originally a bone white color? I can't find any old pictures of les pauls where it's definitive. Any newer pics, the guard has aged and I really can't tell..

I can't tell either.

I've also found that original switch tips where actually white, which aged to the brownish color you see now. Which begs the question - if non-VOS "True Historics" and the like are a near perfect modern representation of a new 1959 LP, why are the switch tips not white?

The original switch tips were and are lightly amber colored, though they did grow darker over time (UV light). Gibson began using white switch tips sometime in 1961 give or take a few months.

Here's a good link with loads of info: http://www.guitarhq.com/tips.html

iloveguitars79

I can't tell either.

The original switch tips were and are lightly amber colored, though they did grow darker over time (UV light). Gibson began using white switch tips sometime in 1961 give or take a few months.

Here's a good link with loads of info: http://www.guitarhq.com/tips.html

Thanks for the info, but.....[FONT=verdana,arial,helv,helvetica][SIZE=-1] from that article, the author states:

- "I believe that the switch tips are in fact Catalin and started out more of an ivory white/soft yellow and discolor (became more yellow) over time"[/SIZE][/FONT]

AJCR

Pickguards (and every other 'sheet' plastic item) are a cream colour. But they are light cream, not some of the yellower cream colours that crept in during the standards of the 90's and onwards.
The ivory/bone colour was for the injection moulded items.......so the pickups rings were that colour, and indeed the cream of the bobbins during 59 was the same colour.

corpse

GT uncovered.jpg

Sorry to do a pic this way- note the nice look of these plastics. In person they are identical- no difference.

one

Seems to me that whatever the original color, the "aged" (imitation) switch tips being bought just get more and more amber -- excessively so. It's like relic-ing; it just gets more obvious and extreme year after year until we're seeing caricatures of actual old guitars. Apparently, nobody wants a reissue that looks like a carefully maintained guitar. With all the crazing out there, it looks like there was a brief ice age sometime in, say, 2010, and all the Les Pauls on earth got frozen.

corpse

Seems to me that whatever the original color, the "aged" (imitation) switch tips being bought just get more and more amber -- excessively so. It's like relic-ing; it just gets more obvious and extreme year after year until we're seeing caricatures of actual old guitars. Apparently, nobody wants a reissue that looks like a carefully maintained guitar. With all the crazing out there, it looks like there was a brief ice age sometime in, say, 2010, and all the Les Pauls on earth got frozen.

Dat