The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member Mars Hall's Avatar

What causes the flame in maple?

Perhaps this has been discussed before but when it comes down to it, it's a major reason I was attracted to these instruments. Something about the look, the rippling waves of tiger striping across the hue of changing colors that just resonated in my being. I've heard it said that it's a "disease" in the wood?
    "What's that man movin' cross the stage?
    It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page..." Paul McCartney

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Re: What causes the flame in maple?

I thought it was the compression in the trunk from the huge weight of the tree above it (so the flame is often in lower areas). Over time the grain kinda buckles...we have a tree at work where you can see the outside has this going on in the lower trunk area.
    Last edited by latestarter; 06-20-19 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Siri cannot dictate very well
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by latestarter View Post
    I thought it was the compression in the truck from the huge weight of the tree above it (so the flame is often in lower areas). Over time the grain kinda buckles...we have a tree at work where you can see the outside has this going on in the lower trunk area.
    I do remember hearing this as well. Just trying to separate fact from fiction but this makes sense to me.

There’s no scientific consensus on the cause of tiger/flamed maple.

It’s weird.

Burl is found in the lower section of trees as a result of weight/stress. Figure can occur over the whole log or a small portion and often looks completely different depending upon cut bias and type, ie; quarterawn, flatsawn etc.. and is not a disease, that would be Spalted, which is a fungal decomp aid.

Lots of wood can have figure, not just maple.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Burl is found in the lower section of trees as a result of weight/stress. Figure can occur over the whole log or a small portion and often looks completely different depending upon cut bias and type, ie; quarterawn, flatsawn etc.. and is not a disease, that would be Spalted, which is a fungal decomp aid.

w/flamed mahogany being one of the coolest

Burl is different than tiger or flamed maple, it really is from a disease.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl

The cause of flamed/figured/tiger maple remains largely unexplained. There may be a genetic consideration, but again, the studies are inconclusive. (Speaking as a research university professor with a Ph.D. with graduate students and many peer-reviewed publications, I find this inexcusable and embarrassing that this should still be a mystery.)

Our own LPF link: https://www.lespaulforum.com/slubart...le/figure.html

An excerpt from the above link: "Even though it has been studied for a long time, very little is known about why figure develops in wood. There are a lot of contradictory theories, and the ultimate causes are largely unknown. Ecological factors have been studied to see if they have an affect on figure, but there are no studies that have shown a definitive correlation of factors like geographic location, climate, soil, bark, foliage, rate of growth, etc. on figure. Most of the best figured wood develops in well formed, straight, healthy trees. All figured wood types occur in almost every part of the world where figure is recognized, although certain areas appear to produce more figured trees than other areas."

And as a scientist I am further embarrassed that I've used Wikipedia to support my thesis here...the shame...

The Wikipedia entry on flame maple is particularly interesting because it uses electric guitars to illustrate several different varieties of figured maple. Good luck differentiating among Flame, Tiger Stripe, Fiddle Back and Ribbon! They look the same to me.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_maple

Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    w/flamed mahogany being one of the coolest
    I had some outrageously beautiful fiddleback veneer which I used on a salvaged 54 Jr and for the back of "BOB" a complete rebuild of a trashed mid 50's Jr with flame maple top, dual humbuckers, tobacky w/ Bigsby B5. Still have 'em.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Hard to believe I haven't seen Mike Slubowski's excellent article here on the forum mentioned yet.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/slubart...le/figure.html

Quote Originally Posted by Triburst View Post
    Hard to believe I haven't seen Mike Slubowski's excellent article here on the forum mentioned yet.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/slubart...le/figure.html
    It will be mentioned as soon as the administrators give my post the OK. (You know, you write a post and it doesn't appear for a few days? Well, that's the story with a post I wrote a few days ago. It should appear soon enough. )

At last. As of Thursday it has been posted. I wrote it on Monday. It's #7.

However it happens, it's the stuff of legends...

I had some outrageously beautiful fiddleback veneer which I used on a salvaged 54 Jr and for the back of "BOB" a complete rebuild of a trashed mid 50's Jr with flame maple top, dual humbuckers, tobacky w/ Bigsby B5. Still have 'em.

Holy shit dude!

Yer killing me over here! Bigsby too? ---- That's freaking outstanding. Nice.

EDIT --- By trade I am a woodworker. The vast majority of what we do is maple,I've been at this job for 37 years and can state as an absolute fact.... EVERY load on every truck is different. Completely different. It's still quite amazing to me after all these years. The maple you got yesterday ain't the maple you're getting today.
    Last edited by SpencerD; 06-20-19 at 10:24 PM.
    ​We Are The People We Have Been Waiting For