• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Ripplet top

wintomato

I recently bought a 2015 True historic, second hand. Lovely guitar, trying to perfect the setup, great looking top. I noticed in the light that the top is uneven, round the edges. I have seen a couple of threads about this on other forums. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing, probably shouldn't be like that. My USA standard certainly wasn't, but that wasn't hand sanded!

I took some pictures to show, difficult to really see but these you can see round the edges where the light shows the ripple on the top around the edges. (also included a better quality picture to show it at it's best)
Thanks for reading
IMG_0123.jpgIMG_0169.jpgIMG_0170.jpgIMG_0171.jpg

latestarter

Sometimes the flame appears like that once the lacquer has settled. I wouldn’t worry too much.

AA00475Bassman

Flame is soft & hard , open grain & closed grain this is Flame , some flame will not sand even ! Trust me I know I have worked with many figured wood's !!

Big Al

I suspect a sanding issue. After I sand for final finish I moisten the top with a damp cloth to raise the grain. After drying I sand again. I do not get ripples.

sws1

I only started noticing those ripples when the True Historics came out. Clearly, they must have changed something in their finishing process.

cds1951

I recently bought a 2015 True historic, second hand. Lovely guitar, trying to perfect the setup, great looking top. I noticed in the light that the top is uneven, round the edges. I have seen a couple of threads about this on other forums. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing, probably shouldn't be like that. My USA standard certainly wasn't, but that wasn't hand sanded!

I took some pictures to show, difficult to really see but these you can see round the edges where the light shows the ripple on the top around the edges. (also included a better quality picture to show it at it's best)
Thanks for reading
View attachment 9852View attachment 9853View attachment 9854View attachment 9855

That is just the curly maple. As it gets older you might be able to feel the ripples.

wintomato

Thanks for the responses. In certain light it looks more pronounced than it is, but you can definitely feel the ridges/ripples near the edge. This guitar is for playing, not for display, I can’t see how it would affect the sound, which is the most important thing!

AA00475Bassman

One other thing you have a beautiful guitar killer color & flame !!

Play on brethren !!

ONEHERO

This is simply because the True Historics has the thinner nitro along with the long and labor-intensive wet-sanding. Too bad the other series don’t have this specification

brandtkronholm

This is simply because the True Historics has the thinner nitro along with the long and labor-intensive wet-sanding. Too bad the other series don’t have this specification

The top of my (extremely flamed) 1995 R9 has this rippling effect in the finish too. Some figured maple tops have it and some not so much.