• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2018 R9 wiring upgrade question

Blueskyyyy27

Hi, I’m looking to replace the bumble bee caps and I noticed that Gibson lists 500k pots as a spec on their website. Should I still go all in with a complete upgrade with caps and pots in pre wired assembly from the line of ‘Emerson’? Is that still needed?

My other Gibson’s which I have upgraded with caps/pots have much vaster range in volume and tone. I figured with coming stock with 500k pots I wouldn’t need to take that route but the loss of highs and tone is already noticeable within my first hour of playing the guitAr. I know the caps are junk. What have you guys gone with for R9’s. Thanks

Mars Hall

Not sure what Gibson is currently using for caps and pots but I believe the old Centralab pots are one of the key "pieces to the puzzle" that makes the original LP's so great. I caught the "upgrade bug" after years of happily playing my 96 R7. Back then, Gibson left quite a bit "on the table" when concerning "accuracy". Your guitar is quite a bit closer in specs than mine.:hank However, I do believe that an upgrade of the pots will bring about more tonal changes than any cap swap. For this upgrade, I recommend the Vintage Inspired Pickups VIPots. Darn close the what Gibson originally used. I'm not gonna throw around adjectives, just do it, You'll be happy...

Here's an interesting read on this subject.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...-Which-new-pots-most-like-a-vintage-centralab

Last edited:

Gold Tone

Agreed, potentiometre change will have much more significant effect on tone than caps

gio

+3 on the VIPots. I now have them in my Knopfler Les Paul, Custom Shop ‘61 RI SG, and CS ‘59 RI ES-335. It wasn’t a huge difference, but definitely noticeable and for the better.

Blueskyyyy27

Thanks for pro tip! Went ahead and placed an order yesterday! A non-assembled kit but for the price for a set of 4 plus 2 caps for $50 shipped. Hell of a deal! They sound like the real deal. Sure to be a solid upgrade from the stock CtS 500k pots.

Not sure what Gibson is currently using for caps and pots but I believe the old Centralab pots are one of the key "pieces to the puzzle" that makes the original LP's so great. I caught the "upgrade bug" after years of happily playing my 96 R7. Back then, Gibson left quite a bit "on the table" when concerning "accuracy". Your guitar is quite a bit closer in specs than mine.:hank However, I do believe that an upgrade of the pots will bring about more tonal changes than any cap swap. For this upgrade, I recommend the Vintage Inspired Pickups VIPots. Darn close the what Gibson originally used. I'm not gonna throw around adjectives, just do it, You'll be happy...

Here's an interesting read on this subject.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...-Which-new-pots-most-like-a-vintage-centralab