NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Thread: Been a while

Les Paul Forum Member TomGuitar's Avatar

Been a while

Itís been a while since I posted anything. Sorry to be away so long. But tonight I want to share some thoughts. Might be the wrong area, but since The Other Gibsons is where I live, Iíll do it here.

I changed the strings tonight on the guitar in my avatar. Itís a blonde 59 335. Oh man, what a joy it is to play with new strings. Iíve been playing it for hours now. The thing just sings. It would make anyone sound better. I gig only occasionally, maybe 40 times a year. But I have one tomorrow night. With the big cover band I play in. Itís kind of important. One of the singers in this band hosts a block party every year. So we want to make her shine. This band is 12 pieces. Two guitars, keys, bass, drums, 4-piece horn section, 3 additional female singers. We do everything from 60ís pop, Motown, Beatles, Stones, Steely Dan, Delbert McClinton, Bonnie Raitt, right up to 2010ís pop, rock and country. Versatile cover band. Good band. If youíve never played with a full horn section, you should try it. Makes a guitar players job a whole lot easier.

But back to this guitar. As many of you know, I have a bunch of old Gibsons.

But Iím in love again. There is nothing like a good 50ís Gibson. Maybe it was the water in Kalamazoo, or Kazoo, as we in Michigan called it. But whatever else it was, it was magic. Such a joy to play.

I feel so fortunate to be in a position to play this thing. It makes me sound so much better than I am.

Find an old Gibson and it will play you.

Anyway... peace... and play those old guitars

Re: Been a while

I changed the strings on my 1959 ES345 last week. Yup, it is a joyous instrument. The neck is full yet fast. It's all original with the obvious exception of the Schaller tuners. It has the black Varitone ring but isn't a "first-rack." The orange label was lost years ago...

Here it is next to some other guitar I play.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGuitar View Post
    There is nothing like a good 50’s Gibson.

Good to see you back on the Forum

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Itís been a while since I posted anything. Sorry to be away so long. But tonight I want to share some thoughts. Might be the wrong area, but since The Other Gibsons is where I live, Iíll do it here.

I changed the strings tonight on the guitar in my avatar. Itís a blonde 59 335. Oh man, what a joy it is to play with new strings. Iíve been playing it for hours now. The thing just sings. It would make anyone sound better. I gig only occasionally, maybe 40 times a year. But I have one tomorrow night. With the big cover band I play in. Itís kind of important. One of the singers in this band hosts a block party every year. So we want to make her shine. This band is 12 pieces. Two guitars, keys, bass, drums, 4-piece horn section, 3 additional female singers. We do everything from 60ís pop, Motown, Beatles, Stones, Steely Dan, Delbert McClinton, Bonnie Raitt, right up to 2010ís pop, rock and country. Versatile cover band. Good band. If youíve never played with a full horn section, you should try it. Makes a guitar players job a whole lot easier.

But back to this guitar. As many of you know, I have a bunch of old Gibsons.

But Iím in love again. There is nothing like a good 50ís Gibson. Maybe it was the water in Kalamazoo, or Kazoo, as we in Michigan called it. But whatever else it was, it was magic. Such a joy to play.

I feel so fortunate to be in a position to play this thing. It makes me sound so much better than I am.

Find an old Gibson and it will play you.

Anyway... peace... and play those old guitars
    Sounds like a great idea! I'll get mine out and restring it tomorrow. Seems like I've been playing the Pauls all the time.

Have a great gig, Tom!!
    Pauls to the walls!

HŁter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Nice to see you posting again, Tom. Hope you are doing well.

Les Paul Forum Member

I just restrung my entire herd after they'd been in storage prior to shipping for four months. It's quite a surprise to rediscover what the guitar "should" sound like again. Also, agree with you on old 335's Tom.....they're the nuts.

Nice to see you in print again.
    The artist formerly known as "A-hole".

Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar

....Maybe it was the water in Kalamazoo, or Kazoo, as we in Michigan called it. But whatever else it was, it was magic....
    Bingo!

Tom, itís good to see you participating on this forum again!

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

- Bill Watterson, creator of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes".

I need to sit down and restring a bunch of mine. The strings fade so gradually you don't notice it, until your ears wake up one day and say, "this thing sounds like junk."
    I did my MIM Tele a couple months ago when I replaced the electronics in there (put in a 4-way switch and new pots,) and it was night and day - I don't know how much was the strings and how much is the new stuff, but it's way louder and cleaner sounding than before.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Welcome back Tom!
    Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

Nothing like a blonde 59. My main player is one as well (a converted 345 though). Oddly, it's not the one in my avatar. It does everything you say, especially when newly restrung. I've been having very good results with DR strings lately after years of stringing with D'Addarios (which I still like). Vintage 3x5's like 10's and 11's. 9's are trouble - the G string usually won't intonate. Nice to see you back here, Tom. How about an update of your excellent website-I have photos of about two hundred vintage 335's, 345's and 355's you could post.

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

I gig only occasionally, maybe 40 times a year.
    Ya slacker!

But seriously, good on ya...that's a good number of gigs!

You've reminded me...my 335 needs fresh strings too. Love the look of your blonde!
    Otherwise known as Grant.