The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member Capt Brad's Avatar

PAF vs Mini PAF opinions please!

Early Gibson mini humbuckers have PAF stickers. They were made with mostly the same material.
    But they never made it into a Gibson to the best of what info I can find? Mini's yes but any PAF mini's?
    Epiphone had them as well as Silvertone. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Here is a photo of what I hope still be considered PAF mini's

Re: PAF vs Mini PAF opinions please!

Offset pole screws! Never seen a mini humbucker like that before PAF or otherwise.

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

My '64 FB sporting a set...bridge one on this was hot, which was unusual. Loved the sound but eventually went full size (and never regretted it!). Spoiler - it had already been routed before I go it.

I believe these pickups are really just mini PAFs. Same fundamental design, just smaller. I do rate them. Mine were Pat No though - never seen a PAF sticker on one that I can recall.

Otherwise known as Grant.

Les Paul Forum Member Capt Brad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by latestarter View Post
    My '64 FB sporting a set...bridge one on this was hot, which was unusual. Loved the sound but eventually went full size (and never regretted it!). Spoiler - it had already been routed before I go it.

I believe these pickups are really just mini PAFs. Same fundamental design, just smaller. I do rate them. Mine were Pat No though - never seen a PAF sticker on one that I can recall.

Sweet guitar! If I ever find a deal on a FB that's how I would do it!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Brad View Post
    Early Gibson mini humbuckers have PAF stickers. They were made with mostly the same material.
    But they never made it into a Gibson to the best of what info I can find? Mini's yes but any PAF mini's?
    Epiphone had them as well as Silvertone. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Here is a photo of what I hope still be considered PAF mini's

Those are called P-11's. They were designed as I recall by Seth Lover, Gibson didn't want to use them but they were picked up by Harmony to be used in that one guitar (I forget the designation ((Silvertone 1446?)) but they refer to it as the "Chris Isaak" guitar). That company designed the distinctive pickup rings themselves that were used on that guitar. There are some clones that are sold on Reverb. There was a great interview/article about Lover that discussed all the pickups he designed, I have never heard of those being called "PAF" minis, however. I see one on Ebay right now, it has a "patent number" sticker on the back.
    Al

Note also that Gibson put the PAF sticker on things other than pickups. I've seen a stomp box (channel switch?) from Gibson with the PAF sticker on it.
    In other words, the PAF sticker is usually just a sticker. It doesn't always impart extra value or indicate desirability.
    (But PAF minis are cool nonetheless!)

Here's a link to a picture of mini-humbuckers with the PAF decal: http://guitarhq.com/paf13.jpg

Site link: http://guitarhq.com/paf.html

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    Note also that Gibson put the PAF sticker on things other than pickups. I've seen a stomp box (channel switch?) from Gibson with the PAF sticker on it.
    In other words, the PAF sticker is usually just a sticker. It doesn't always impart extra value or indicate desirability.
    (But PAF minis are cool nonetheless!)

Here's a link to a picture of mini-humbuckers with the PAF decal: http://guitarhq.com/paf13.jpg

Site link: http://guitarhq.com/paf.html
    I saw one on an early Fuzztone!

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    I saw one on an early Fuzztone!
    - I think that's what I remember too.

Weird stuff.