• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Whatever happened to the 59 Goldtop?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
9-0225_59_Goldtop.JPG

normal_9-0225_59_Gt_back.JPG

normal_9-0225_59_GT_serial_%23.JPG

A rare bird not seen for years, that I know of.
Anybody know where this one is? :hmm

goldtop0

A custom order in '59:lol............:hmm

A very dark darkback for sure:wow

Tubes 'n Wood

mistersnappy... burst for all intents and purposes, as in... burst correct specs throughout guitar, but it was painted gold instead of sunburst finish? Like the rare custom ordered black burst (or whatever you want to call it) that the customer wanted a standard, but sprayed black (think Joe B owns it now?).

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I've heard from a few folks that aren't wanting to be named.
The guitar is still a Goldtop, and has a center seam. I also hear it is under 8 lbs. :wow

:salude

fakejake

I've heard from a few folks that aren't wanting to be named.
The guitar is still a Goldtop, and has a center seam. I also hear it is under 8 lbs. :wow

:salude

Any more current/ better quality pics?
That would be awesome!

mistersnappy

mistersnappy... burst for all intents and purposes, as in... burst correct specs throughout guitar, but it was painted gold instead of sunburst finish? Like the rare custom ordered black burst (or whatever you want to call it) that the customer wanted a standard, but sprayed black (think Joe B owns it now?).

Yeah, sorry for being so snarky. There is that Cherry Red one, as well, that is strictly not a "Burst". :):dude:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Like the rare custom ordered black burst (or whatever you want to call it) that the customer wanted a standard, but sprayed black (think Joe B owns it now?).

Yeah, sorry for being so snarky. There is that Cherry Red one, as well, that is strictly not a "Burst". :):dude:

And don't forget the black Standards they made that were not custom ordered. :ganz

ak_

And don't forget the black Standards they made that were not custom ordered. :ganz

Are there any other ‘59 goldtops known or rumoured to be out there? Or even any ‘60 gt’s? Did that ever happen?

Am still amazed to see the one in your photos Tom.

It has considerably increased the cost of my ultimate guitar collection fantasy and accordingly decreased the likelihood of it ever happening :##:dude:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Are there any other ‘59 goldtops known or rumoured to be out there? Or even any ‘60 gt’s? Did that ever happen?

This is the only Goldtop after 58 that I have ever heard of.

brandtkronholm

This is the only Goldtop after 58 that I have ever heard of.

For what ever it may be worth, long ago in the mid 1990s, Stan Jay (Mandolin Bros.) told me there was a 1960 Gold Top. But after 25 years I may be confusing this with the known 1959 Gold Top.