• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I bought a 2019 Gibson LP Standard and I have a question

bbutler

It's the blue one and it has what appears to be a painted back.

When played WITHOUT an amp the guitar sounds brighter and maybe tinnier than LPs that aren't painted. And of course with an amp this shows through too. Does this make sense?

I'm not sure I care that much for it. I've had a number of LPs and the only sharp, bright one I've owned was a Custom Classic goldtop which had not only Goldtop paint, but also baked maple fingerboard. The fingerboard certainly made it brighter, even Gibson said I think. But the paint?

Thanks for your input.
Brian

Big Al

No, you are overthinking this and looking for issues. ALL Les Pauls are painted. Nito lacquer is the paint used and clear, transparent or opaque makes no sonic difference.

sliberty

It's the blue one and it has what appears to be a painted back.

When played WITHOUT an amp the guitar sounds brighter and maybe tinnier than LPs that aren't painted. And of course with an amp this shows through too. Does this make sense?

I'm not sure I care that much for it. I've had a number of LPs and the only sharp, bright one I've owned was a Custom Classic goldtop which had not only Goldtop paint, but also baked maple fingerboard. The fingerboard certainly made it brighter, even Gibson said I think. But the paint?

Thanks for your input.
Brian

I assume that this is one of the early 2019 Standards (since the newest models don't come in Blue). There are some construction differences, pickup and electronics differences, etc. from model year to model year to model year, and between different models as well. The difference in resonance you perceive is much more likely related to the construction and electronics and the specific wood (even two pieces of mahogany can sound different) used rather than that finishing techniques and pigments.