• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R6 Les Paul finish problem

John375

Hello everyone. I’ve got a R6 Les Paul Goldtop. Long story short, bought it new via my friend in US (I’m not from US) and could not check this guitar myself in the shop at the time. When I finally got it I’ve noticed some weird problems with the top finish. Was wondering what could cause it and finally decided to ask you guys if anyone has any thoughts or experienced similar problems. The problem is – there is a noticeable pattern of lines in the finish, you can see it between the pickups and in the knobs and bridge area. Photos attached. I’m trying not to worry about it too much, but I have to say it is a pretty disappointing flaw from a new guitar though.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Thanks a lot. IMG_4512.jpgIMG_8301.jpgIMG_8322.jpgIMG_8326.jpgIMG_8327.jpg

Last edited:

brandtkronholm

Son, that there ain't a problem. Thar be a treasure trove 'neath that gold paint! (Typed with a pirate accent...yar!)

That's some serious tiger/flame maple underneath the gold paint! It is so flamed that its contours are creating that rippling effect in the gold. One can actually feel the flame of the maple top on the flamiest sunburst Les Pauls.

Avast! Thar be gold under that...um...gold.

(In other words, this is not a flaw, it is a very, very cool aspect of your R6! You have gotten very lucky!)

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

XQhfgBQ.jpg
[/IMG]
Thats Supa flame it was it so flamer they painted it , lessoning degrading of the R9's !! Flame on Brethren !!!

Gold Tone

Yep

It might look “imperfect” and technically it is, but you lucky S.O.B. Got yer self a VERY cool gold over heavy flame Les Paul there bud!!

El Gringo

As others have said you got some flamed maple underneath the gold finish on the top . Usually on solid color finishes you get plain maple . I can't speak for others but you got yourself some very desirable premium flamed maple . Enjoy that beauty and I would love to know how she plays and sounds please ?

brandtkronholm

So you should strip that gold paint and refinish it ASAP to bring out those flames!

NO! Do not do this! (Unless you really want to, it your guitar, after all.) It is a fine Gold Top! The fact that there's nice wood under the paint is a cool feature but not rare or worth the trouble of "'Bursting" an innocent R6. Who knows why Gibson decided it should be a Gold Top? Maybe there's a flaw that the gold is hiding!

(Historically, this is what happened to some '50s Gold Tops back in the late '60s and '70s. A luthier would see the ripples of the tiger maple under the gold paint of say, a 1955 Les Paul (or the maple might be exposed if the gold was worn away in some areas) and decide to strip it and convert it into a 'Burst.) The more ripples of maple visible under the gold paint meant that some perfectly fine '50s Gold Top Les Pauls had a short life expectancy as an original Gold Top.

...should Gold Top be capitalized? I feel like it should be...

Gold Top vs. gold top

Hmmm...

GotTheSilver

Looks to me like the treble side is flamed, but the bass side is not. I would not strip it and refinish. I would leave it gold and play the heck out of it! :yah

StreetPreacher

So you should strip that gold paint and refinish it ASAP to bring out those flames!

I'll have to remember to ring a bell first the next time I try to make a joke around here ;)

If anyone thought I was serious, then no, my advice is to definitely not refinish this guitar... lol

Anyway, the bottom line seems to be that this isn't a problem, and is completely normal, and if you don't like it personally then there appear to be a few people around here who would be more than willing to take this guitar off your hands, you might even be able to make a profit. :)

John375

Man.. Thanks everyone for the replies. Honestly I was thinking about the flame underneath too, but could not understand why wouldn’t they use a plain maple underneath the paint instead. So I was sure that it is a sanding or polishing flaw or something like that.

Checked the top again, tiger flame maple is more or less visible everywhere on the top surface, under the pickguard also, etc. (except for the opposite side of the knobs, the upper/bass opposite side of the guitar, maybe the lacquer layer is thick enough in this particular area).

It’s a sweet sounding guitar, plays great, love p90s. Though I feel like I am stuck with it, don’t really know what to decide. Actually I own it for quite some time already, just finally decided to write here to hear some thoughts. Whether I should sell it and buy another guitar (and sell it as it is?, well..) or refinish it in different color (or should I just bring out the flames?, though there has to be a reason for hiding it underneath the paint). So maybe it’s a great opportunity to customize my Les Paul guitar. But the problem here is that I’m not sure that I can find qualified enough personnel to perform fine refinishing.

Anyway thanks again for the replies!

Last edited:

El Gringo

Man.. Thanks everyone for the replies. Honestly I was thinking about the flame underneath too, but could not understand why wouldn’t they use a plain maple underneath the paint instead. So I was sure that it is a grinding or polishing flaw or something like that.

Checked the top again, tiger flame maple is more or less visible everywhere on the top surface, under the pickguard also, etc. (except for the opposite side of the knobs, the upper/bass opposite side of the guitar, maybe the lacquer layer is thick enough in this particular area).

It’s a sweet sounding guitar, plays great, love p90s. Though I feel like I am stuck with it, don’t really know what to decide. Actually I own it for quite some time already, just finally decided to write here to hear some thoughts. Whether I should sell it and buy another guitar (and sell it as it is?, well..) or refinish it in different color (or should I just bring out the flames?, though there has to be a reason for hiding it underneath the paint). So maybe it’s a great opportunity to customize my Les Paul guitar. But the problem here is that I’m not sure that I can find qualified enough personnel to perform fine refinishing.

Just my 2 cents so please take it with a grain of salt , but I think she is a beauty as she is and if you like her tone and how she plays keep her , but if you have thoughts of selling her if you refinish her the value of the guitar changes as in lower value as she will no longer have her factory finish .

c_wester

Why not take a pic of the control cavity so we can see what it looks like?

StreetPreacher

though there has to be a reason for hiding it underneath the paint). So maybe it’s a great opportunity to customize my Les Paul guitar. But the problem here is that I’m not sure that I can find qualified enough personnel to perform fine refinishing.

Only refinish if you're interesting in customizing the guitar for yourself... If you have any plans to sell it, just leave it as is!

And they're not necessarily trying to hide anything, sometimes really nice flame tops just end up on the assembly line for solid painted guitars...

John375

Control cavity pics, looks flamy indeed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 81