• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R6 Les Paul finish problem

John375

I've read your post, I agree with you. Yes, of course I'd like it to be perfect, years ago I was reading literally everything I could find about these guitars, deciding between R4 and R6 and all that.
So yeah, I was disappointed when finally got it.

And thanks to you guys, now I've learned about flame tops underneath the gold.
I'll think about it all, thanks again.

Last edited:

jb_abides

I've read your post, I agree with you. Yes, of course I'd like it to be perfect, years ago I was reading literally everything I could find about these guitars, deciding between R4 and R6 and all that.
So yeah, I was disappointed when finally got it.

And thanks to you guys, now I've learned about flame tops underneath the gold.
I'll think about it all, thanks again.

IMHO: Assuming you read "everything" and grok'd... you shouldn't feel disappointed; just tickled that hidden flamed maple is a normal good thing, thin nitro, too.

My advice: thank your friend, keep and enjoy your hidden flame-thrower Goldie. Nuthin' WRONG with it, everything right... unless it gnaws at your brain, and changing our thoughts can be the path to enlightenment. It's a beauty! :salude

brandtkronholm

IMHO: Assuming you read "everything" and grok'd... you shouldn't feel disappointed; just tickled that hidden flamed maple is a normal good thing, thin nitro, too.

My advice: thank your friend, keep and enjoy your hidden flame-thrower Goldie. Nuthin' WRONG with it, everything right... unless it gnaws at your brain, and changing our thoughts can be the path to enlightenment. It's a beauty! :salude

+1

one

I'm sure in the minority on this. I find nothing attractive about a messed up, uneven goldtop paint job. Nor do I see any value in some imagined-to-be-beautiful (?) unmatched and invisible flame figure beneath the gold. It's neither a good goldtop nor an attractive flame. If quirkiness has some interest or curiosity value, fine; not to me. Just because something's uncommon doesn't mean its good. I'm pretty sure that ripply goldtops are rare because they are, or used to be, considered defective. The guitar's not supposed to look like that. Just my opinion; obviously, many here think it's great. I don't understand why, but that's what makes this stuff interesting.