• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

your expert advice on these 2 gibson 335 beauties are they real or fake

youssou

I wan t to buy there but am not sure about the authenticity they re probably fake , what you think

D Anthony

The black and red sunburst (the first pic) would be an ES-355, not ES-335. I can't tell in the photo but the top should have 7 ply binding.
The solid red guitar in the 2nd photo would be a 335 but not sure about the other guitar - probably some sort of asian copy. With the 355 and the 335 I'd ask for images of inside the F-Hole, there should be a sticker inside from Gibson with the serial number. You can send that serial number to Gibson customer service and they'll verify if the number syncs up with the specs. Based on the number you provided on the back of the 355 head stock, it looks like its a 2006 model.
Also, if you can get a close up shot of the front of both head stocks. After 13 years, there's a good chance a real Gibson could have some small finish checking (small finish cracks) around the Mother of Pearl (the Gibson logo and the diamond on the 355 - the Gibson logo and the crown on the 335).
It's a little odd that the 355 has a Truss Rod cover that looks to say "Les Paul Custom" - often an appointment found on certain Epiphone models - however this could just have been a spare part kicking around and they decided to use it.

Based strictly on the photos you've provided I'd lean towards them being real. I'd try to either see them in person or make sure that you're protected somehow (PayPal transaction).

Also, could ask for images of the cases. Gibson's should say GIBSON USA or GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP in the outside of the case.
Good luck

youssou

The black and red sunburst (the first pic) would be an ES-355, not ES-335. I can't tell in the photo but the top should have 7 ply binding.
The solid red guitar in the 2nd photo would be a 335 but not sure about the other guitar - probably some sort of asian copy. With the 355 and the 335 I'd ask for images of inside the F-Hole, there should be a sticker inside from Gibson with the serial number. You can send that serial number to Gibson customer service and they'll verify if the number syncs up with the specs. Based on the number you provided on the back of the 355 head stock, it looks like its a 2006 model.
Also, if you can get a close up shot of the front of both head stocks. After 13 years, there's a good chance a real Gibson could have some small finish checking (small finish cracks) around the Mother of Pearl (the Gibson logo and the diamond on the 355 - the Gibson logo and the crown on the 335).
It's a little odd that the 355 has a Truss Rod cover that looks to say "Les Paul Custom" - often an appointment found on certain Epiphone models - however this could just have been a spare part kicking around and they decided to use it.

Based strictly on the photos you've provided I'd lean towards them being real. I'd try to either see them in person or make sure that you're protected somehow (PayPal transaction).

Also, could ask for images of the cases. Gibson's should say GIBSON USA or GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP in the outside of the case.
Good luck
thanx anthony for replying , i d go for the 335 it appear more real , especially the aging pick up and suddle , the guy wanting to sell it is 170 km away from , don t wanna hit the road for nothing
he will not give back the money am sure so i d better stay away ,gibson are easier to fake they don t put high quality materiel to their guitar

D Anthony

Cool, if you don't mind me asking, how much does he want for each guitar? What country are you guys located in?

At the very least, before you make the drive I would request photos of the F Hole sticker and the front of the head stock (might as well request a shot of the back of the head stock too while you're at it to make sure there's never been a break).

The F hole sticker should look similar to this (White if Gibson USA. Orange if Gibson Custom Shop). You can check the serial number with service@gibson.com
If it doesn't have this inside with a serial I would stay away - there's no reason for it to be missing if it's authentic:

65%20es335%20F-Hole%20Orange%20Lable.jpg

I would also get an image of the front of the head stock. While it may or may not have the small finish cracks shown around the Mother of Pearl in the image below, a lot of used Gibsons have these and it's a great indicator that a Nitro finish was applied, which fakes in this price range rarely have as it's an expensive finish:
yubvwjnxp3sfje2o4gee.jpg

Zentar

You can buy a really nice high definition digital camera with zoom for $120 so why do people post blurry cell fone pics?
They both look real to me but they both could have repaired broken neck joints that those pics could be hiding with the blurry images.
If people would refuse to purchase items with blurry pics the sellers would quickly stop posting garbage fotos.

Also, if you think they're fake tell us why.

D Anthony

At the very least, before you make the drive I would request photos of the F Hole sticker and the front of the head stock (might as well request a shot of the back of the head stock too while you're at it to make sure there's never been a break).

The F hole sticker should look similar to this (White if Gibson USA. Orange if Gibson Custom Shop). You can check the serial number with*service@gibson.com*
If it doesn't have this inside with a serial I would stay away - there's no reason for it to be missing if it's authentic:
union-Made.jpg

I would also get an image of the front of the head stock. While it may or may not have the small finish cracks around the Mother of Pearl, a lot of used Gibsons have these and it's a great indicator that a Nitro finish was applied, which fakes in this price range rarely have as it's an expensive finish.

brandtkronholm

Not doubting you, but I'm interested in what led you to that conclusion - genuinely

Ohhh my oh my oh my, there are many "tells" on this one.

It is absolutely not a Gibson. It's a Chibson. ((bad) Chinese copy of a Gibson.)

a. sunburst finish/pattern is completely wrong. (black to Indian cuisine orange? Those horns tho...)
b. knobs - and they're in the wrong place.
c. headstock shape (especially in the close-up of the back of the headstock! Wow, that's wrong.)
d. truss rod cover
e. pick guard
f. that is not an ebony fretboard - not even ritchlite
g. that is not a (gold) Bigsby vibrato unit. (Why its face black in some pictures but in another it looks like the word Bigsby is semi-visible?)
h. the entire shape (especially the waist) looks funny
i. it doesn't look like there's 7-ply binding around the body
j. the f-holes are the wrong shape (too fat) and not in the correct place (to close together)
k. the split-diamond inlay on the headstock is wrong (too small) and looks like it's mother-of-toilet-seat.
l. it's just icky
m. Here it is for sale (srsly) https://www.dhgate.com/product/custom-shop-50th-anniversary-335-vintage/406638729.html#s1-1-1b;srp|3472924966

Here's a link to a proper sunburst 355 for sale now: https://reverb.com/item/19186357-gibson-custom-shop-es-355-sjm-2011-sunburst?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxYLoBRCxARIsAEf16-uYuif_I2TmSrdTK4PsxMUp6e3ZdCg7ObGRC9yo1BTW42Mk_zHGR_UaAlfGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

However, the red 335 may be legit. That looks OK. The other guitar might be an old Carvin? Maybe?

Last edited:

youssou

The F hole sticker should look similar to this (White if Gibson USA. Orange if Gibson Custom Shop). You can check the serial number with*service@gibson.com*
union-Made.jpg

I would also get an image of the front of the head stock. While it may or may not have the small finish cracks around the Mother of Pearl, a lot of used Gibsons have these and it's a great indicator that a Nitro finish was applied, which fakes in this price range rarely have as it's an expensive finish.
Thank you Anthony for taking time to respond you re so helpful
The 355 is so damn fake,
Am interested in the red one , the other hollow body is a gordon smith gypsy
I ll aquire them both so i ll ask the seller for more f hole pics
And ill share